Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

Having some issues with my 09 plat yzf. Was riding to see family, and stopped at a junction, as soon as I did the bike died and wouldn't start on the button. I was able to jump start and carried on to my families. When I got there I turned the bike off and on again and was greeted with fault 46 which according to the manual could be the battery, rectifier/altenator or a dodgy connection.

I went to start it again a couple of hours later and I'm now getting no response what so ever, no dash and no turning over. I've checked for shorts visually and I can't see anything obvious. I've managed to get it to jump start twice, but every time it does it just dies as soon as I let off the throttle.

I'm away from home so can't stick the battery on charge to check that.

Any ideas whether to look at the rectifier or altenator first or anything obvious I may be missing?

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
676 Posts
I guess wherever you are you will need to find a multimeter. read the voltage across the battery terminals wiht the bike off.. should be 11-12.6v sorta range. Might be lower currently if it's flat.

With bike running the voltage should be 13.6 or so across the battery terminals. If it's not then it's not charging and you've got an issue with your charging circuit (stator/rectifier). Could just be as simple as a corroded connector, or recitfier/stator issue.

If you're not getting a nice charging voltage reading it's prob worth unplugging/replugging the rectifier/stator and/or cleaning those connectors if you can, before you start replacing things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess wherever you are you will need to find a multimeter. read the voltage across the battery terminals wiht the bike off.. should be 11-12.6v sorta range. Might be lower currently if it's flat.

With bike running the voltage should be 13.6 or so across the battery terminals. If it's not then it's not charging and you've got an issue with your charging circuit (stator/rectifier). Could just be as simple as a corroded connector, or recitfier/stator issue.

If you're not getting a nice charging voltage reading it's prob worth unplugging/replugging the rectifier/stator and/or cleaning those connectors if you can, before you start replacing things.
Managed to get the old girl home and get hold of a multimeter. Tested the alternator, all is fine there. Tested the regulator/rectifier and she's dead! One of the phase pins wasn't giving out any reading what so ever. Ordered a new one, so hopefully that should fix the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts