Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My engine on my 09 YZF-R125 is now rattling, I have taken it to a couple of mechanics locally and asked what it was. All have said it sounds like the bike has been run with no oil in it and the engine is trashed. It still runs but rattles loudly. I'm asking for some opinions on here and also how much would it cost to either A) Fix the current engine or B) buy a new engine and have it fitted?

Would it be worth repairing this bike or scrapping and buying a cheaper bike for the time being (currently 23 and will be doing my DAS next year). If so what price can I expect to get for the bike in the current state (only problem is the engine, other than that it's in great condition)?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
You can pick up engines off eBay for around £400-£500. Very easy to exchange. Try and buy an engine as close to 2013 as you can, but be aware that when the bike was facelifted in 2014 the engine will not fit into your frame.

· Registered
3 Posts
Well mate that can’t be fully right as coming to rebuilding my engine I have clocked it must be a new shape engine as the 2 wires that I have been going on about on my conversation is only on new shapes as been looking at engines on this bikes And other people have put new shape engines in only thing I’m lost with is I still have old shape pipe and im sure the piston and bore fit both engines as ant differences in them as been told

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Well mate that can’t be fully right as coming to rebuilding my engine I have clocked it must be a new shape engine as the 2 wires that I have been going on about on my conversation is only on new shapes as been looking at engines on this bikes And other people have put new shape engines in only thing I’m lost with is I still have old shape pipe and im sure the piston and bore fit both engines as ant differences in them as been told
Brookesy knows his stuff better than anyone regards the Yamaha 125. My judgement was based on past experience with trying to fit facelifted parts onto my bike and they do not always fit. We learn something new everyday!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I need a replacement engine for my 2016 r125 people on Facebook are telling me I won't find one for less than £700 for my VG5RE model however these are people trying to sell me one. So I'm wondering what price I should be paying for a 2014-18 engine with 10,000+ miles?

· Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
725 Posts
I follow engine prices on ebay because I like to keep an eye out for nice broken ones to fix and use for spares, and the prices have gone nuts in the last year or so. Decent running engines seem to be in the ~650 sorta range so actually the numbers quoted at you don't seem that unreasonable, especially if there's some sort of warranty with it, or it's in good shape with not many miles.

My concern with all of these engines however is that some scrappy has run it for 30 sec and declared it "fine" and I'm supposed to base the next few years' motoring on that opinion? idk

Then again unless you rebuild it yourself like I did (slow, difficult and probably no less expensive as well as requiring special tools and no guarantee of working engine at the end) there don't really seem to be a lot of alternative options. You can't exactly buy one new bc it's old stock, since gobikes disappeared there's not really anyone doing recon/rebuilt engines (and not everyone was delighted with their work either) so used but with a warranty seems like basically the only realistic option (to me). If I've missed a better option then someone please enlighten me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts