Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any body who didn’t know my son just bought an RX125 and yesterday it was my job to collect it from the dealer. Piece of cake I thought no problem, bring it on. My opinion quickly changed after walking through the showroom doors. At first sight I nearly shat myself, its massive a full blown no frills crosser with lights on. Anyway I think I got away with it and nobody noticed the colour drain from my face.

Got the formalities over and it was out of the door with the bike, now the fun starts. Who forgot the step ladders, god it’s tall. I am 5’ 10” inside leg 31” and found it difficult to throw my leg over let alone touch the floor. A little annoying quirk when you right the bike off the stand it springs up and you have to hold your foot against it till its back on the floor so you have to get off it before standing it. Let’s get it started; we are talking kick start (on the left), carburettor and choke. All I am going to say my left legs now twice the size of my right.

So nicely warmed up with a bit of a run about to get familiar. Let’s head for home, its now gone dark and I have to get from south Manchester to Bolton about 30 miles with out going on a motor way. Only one route straight through the city centre, my timing of the lights was impeccable. Out of the centre and on to roads I knew, time to stop sweating and relax a little.

The noticeable difference, power band. Our four strokes have a civilised progression of the engines potential through its rev range this comes along kicks you up the arse and catapults you along without dignity, front wheel up in third no problem. By now I am starting to get used to this even enjoy it even though the off road tyres are a little twitchy and braking style has to be completely different than sport bikes, I tend never to use my rear. Got home without incident, smoked three **** in succession and had a stiff drink.

Regarding performance it will leave an R125 for dead but tops out at 66 this is all down to the gearing for this style of bike. As for build quality, spot on no skimping on quality components. Would I buy one? No not unless I banged my head and developed lunatic tenancies.

As a comparison to the R125 I would say what Vinny Jones is to Tom Cruise, absolutely none whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Good review! Very interesting about the power band, as a two stroke im assuming it needs to be revd higher to get it moving? i remember talking about this in the 2 stroke thread. top speed of 66? pretty surprised about that! I've always wanted to ride a 2 stroke :( Soo jealous right about now! lol

this bike sounds massive! get pic up with it next to r125 hehe

·
Registered
712 Posts
Be interesting to gear it for the same top speed and then see if it makes it a lot more civilised it should do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Photo0042.jpg Photo0043.jpg Photo0045.jpg Photo0044.jpg

Just to up date review, a few pics. Not the best quality, took them on my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts