Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im writing this post to get some help and feed back, this post maybe a little long but feel it is necessary to get to the correct conclusion,

I was riding to work on my bike, and I was hitting 60mph, so I switched up to top gear, the bike stopped moving by itself so I released the throttle and re applied it, this is where the ticking noise began, the ticking noise is constant happens when idle, before I even go out on the bike the ticking begins as soon as I turn the bike on, I read up on these forums and heard alot of people mention the coolant and the oil, which I have changed now, I have spoke to my local motorbike repair company and they said it could be the head gaskets and told me to turn the bike on then remove the radiator cap and if it bubbles it is the head gasket, soI did this and there were no bubbles meaning its no the head gasket, I have rid it since the noise started and have not experienced a loss in speed, still hits all the same speeds comfortably, so I don’t know what else this could be, all the gears work so I dont believe anything is wrong with my gear box either, Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this and for helping me come to a resolution

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
436 Posts
ticking usually has two causes.. valve clearances need adjusting (see service manual for the process) or timing chain (tensioner) needs adjusting/replacing, or both. Making sure your valves are set right would be the easiest first step. Messing with timing chain tensioner is a pain in the ass. Also these bikes just tick somewhat, even when adjusted ok.

I did a video on replsciog hte timign chain tneisoner if you want to familiarise yourself with the process, and covers as bit about the different types of adjuster you can have etc:

if you don't have a service manual then either google it (there's pdf versions available) or drop me a mail at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ill be sure to watch your video! Im going to get it booked in with a mechanic as soon as possible but will hopefully be able to get an idea of wether it is that based off the sound your bike makes in the video! I will also drop you a sub for the help and support as it is greatly appreciated! I made this post so I can try figure out the problem before taking it to a mechanic so they dont try shaft me with a stupid price and try tell me the full front end needed rebuilding

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
436 Posts
no worries, hope it helps :) I know hwo frustrating this can be as I've been through the process myself, but I was determined to figure it out myself rather than play "pick a number" (that I have to pay) with a garage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts