Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Yamaha yzf r 125 and it worked well untill now but now I can't start it with the starter.
I obviously checked the battery and it wasn't empty what can be the problem?pls send help馃槶.

Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
please include what year bike.

The starter switches do wear out but more likely the case on a gen1 than a newer one. Also if gen1 (08-13) then the service manual page 8-7 details the wiring in order to trigger starting.

Prob the easiest place to start tho is to locate the starting relay (which somehow idk where it is actually located but follow the big red wire from the starter). Once located the starter relay will have 4 wires. 2 skinny ones to activate the relay coil and 2 fat ones going from the battery to the relay and then from the relay to the starter motor..

whilst making sure it's not in gear, you can briefly bridge the two big wires (usually opposite each other, i normally use a pair of thin nosed pliers as they won't melt under the load) and if the starter goes round then you know it's a switching issue i.e. the starter circuit is fine but either the relay is dead or one of the many switches required to activate the relay is having a wobbly. e.g. clutch switch, side stand switch etc.

if the starter doesn't go round then it's either a dead starter motor or something in the wiring leading up to the starter.. which there's isn't really much of... so use a multimeter to find where the current stops.

If you push the start button on the bars and that relay clicks but nothing else happens then there's nothing wrong with the switching circuit, I'd be looking at the starter motor itself and/or the wiring between it and the battery.

hope that helps.

Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
ok great re gen1 - in which case page 8-7 in the service manual has a diagram of the wiring and you'll see that the path from battery to starter is very short, and is along the Big Red cable. The starter relay will be somewhere along that. I've not had starting issues with mine so have never needed to locate the relay but I do on my scooter so brindging the relay is something i've had to do many times there to figure out whether it's a "control system" issue or something actually wrong with the starter/starting circuit.

Good luck :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I've located the problem it was the cable (thx without you I wouldn't have found it so fast) it was corroded/I am not sure what .
I changed it and the bike start without any problems thanks a lot 馃榾.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts