Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that doesn't know....

The ABI Categories of 'Write-Off'
Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.
Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.
Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.
Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.
Category F: Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.

Would you buy a cat D ??

Reactions: Killachipmunk

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
if we are talking bike terms i wouldn't buy a bike that's been in a accident. how a car... i would potentially buy a cat d due to the fact some panels May need replacing eg a car no structural damage and engine damage mainly windows and panels possibly front axle etc. but these are easy repairs and you could walk away with a bargain. my brother is a mechanic and he even says cat d are fine as long as you do full inspection etc

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know a few epople that have cat DF cars and they really did grab a bargin. I wouldn't want to risk getting a bike ( im not to lucky ) but im sure there must be some around that are ok. What damage would a bike be likely to have had to be a cat D?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
hmm im not sure i would buy and write through the fact that...with all these hpi checks now u could never get ur money back on it!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
I know a few epople that have cat DF cars and they really did grab a bargin. I wouldn't want to risk getting a bike ( im not to lucky ) but im sure there must be some around that are ok. What damage would a bike be likely to have had to be a cat D?
This is the thing I dont really get with bikes! I have a few friends who had costemic damage e.g. fairings need replacing but they classed it as a CAT C rather than a CAT D. Cat C is worse than Cat D because it falls under the category of having more serious damage and more expensive but still repairable, like the Cat D but not as serious.

For example, My mate who had the orange r125 (that got robbed) had broken fairing panels, basically one side of the bike needed new panels and insurance classed it as a cat C. Even though nothing was wrong with engine/ forks and frame etc. On a car im sure it would be a cat D.

I havent seen a bike on a cat D I think its because once damage has occured in the eyes of insurance firms it will cost too much to be repaired in terms of bike value, no matter what type of damage has happened.

hmm im not sure i would buy and write through the fact that...with all these hpi checks now u could never get ur money back on it!
Usually when you get a CAT D that has been declared, I don't think people aim to sell on to make a profit or get money back ;) maybe just to get them on the road and enjoy it at a cheaper cost.

However there are some cars that have been in a accident and not been declared but fixed up and sold on! So be careful!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Usually when you get a CAT D that has been declared, I don't think people aim to sell on to make a profit or get money back ;) maybe just to get them on the road and enjoy it at a cheaper cost.

However there are some cars that have been in a accident and not been declared but fixed up and sold on! So be careful!
yea they need a VIC check to be decleard fit for road use!

·
Registered
712 Posts
yea they need a VIC check to be decleard fit for road use!
The VIC check is exactly what it says, a vehicle identity check, matching chassis and engine numbers to the paperwork. No check of it being fit for return to road is carried out until the mot. Category C is declared on a car log book, but a D is not.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The VIC check is exactly what it says, a vehicle identity check, matching chassis and engine numbers to the paperwork. No check of it being fit for return to road is carried out until the mot. Category C is declared on a car log book, but a D is not.
ahh cheers ben i got mixed up then!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts