Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of ideas for lighting mods but I don't know how to connect wires and things to the battery, so could someone make a guide? Looking at bikerboy and maybe our good old friend Benji :)

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Gweglez said:
I've got a couple of ideas for lighting mods but I don't know how to connect wires and things to the battery, so could someone make a guide? Looking at bikerboy and maybe our good old friend Benji :)
What you planning to wire up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day time running lights instead of sidelights, other led's. That sorta thing

·
Registered
712 Posts
You need to be finding a switched main, otherwise if you wire directly to the battery they will never switch off. Use a fuse holder to make sure it is safe.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would I find these things? I'm a bit of a noob when it's comes to automotive electrics

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
You should get a connecter (sorry for forgetting the technical name) on the end of the wire...
You undo the nut on the battery, the connecter simply slides on to the bolt (like a washer), and you simply put the bolt back on again!

the FIRST thing that should be after the battery, along the wire, is a fuse holder + fuse. You can find these easily at halfords.

Then, you will want a switch of some sort, PREFERABLY a relay that means the devices you are wiring only come on with the ignition, but any switch will do really.

Finally, wire up the device as per the instructions.

- note: when undoing the battery, do not allow the spanner to touch the frame, as you could short it out. Or at least, that is how it is on a car. It is for this reason you normally disconnect the neutral wire first I believe -

FAILING this. Phone up either Omar, or Fisher and come let us connect it up :p

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should get a connecter (sorry for forgetting the technical name) on the end of the wire...
You undo the nut on the battery, the connecter simply slides on to the bolt (like a washer), and you simply put the bolt back on again!

the FIRST thing that should be after the battery, along the wire, is a fuse holder + fuse. You can find these easily at halfords.

Then, you will want a switch of some sort, PREFERABLY a relay that means the devices you are wiring only come on with the ignition, but any switch will do really.

Finally, wire up the device as per the instructions.

- note: when undoing the battery, do not allow the spanner to touch the frame, as you could short it out. Or at least, that is how it is on a car. It is for this reason you normally disconnect the neutral wire first I believe -

FAILING this. Phone up either Omar, or Fisher and come let us connect it up :p
sounds easier if i was to learn by watching one you do it! :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
It is actually fairly simple.
The HARDEST bit will be to route the wires around the frame etc.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright so i know how to replace stuff on the circuit but how do i add things in? like additional lights etc

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Things like LED lights?

Simply wire them to the battery terminals, with a fuse as CLOSE to the battery as possible.
Don't forget a switch too!

Are bike frames earthed like car batteries are?
For example, in a car.. if you wanted to wire in an AMP for example, you connect the amp to the positive terminal, and then the negative actually connects ANYWHERE on the chassis of the car...

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I believe the fuse goes on the POSITIVE side of the battery, if my memory serves me correct...

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Fisher said:
I believe the fuse goes on the POSITIVE side of the battery, if my memory serves me correct...
Yes that right fuse on the pos side

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Yep, bike frame should be grounded!
Engine's Aluminium so can't be on that, and it must ground to SOMETHING.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yep, bike frame should be grounded!
Engine's Aluminium so can't be on that, and it must ground to SOMETHING.

So yeah, Gary, you can wire stuff to the positive, and then you can wire the negative wire to anything metal on the bike that conducts electricity.
Although, the bike is so small, you may as well perhaps just wire it to the negative terminal. Shouldn't really make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And then how would I make it come on with the ignition/engine?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I thought so add it to the lights and not wire directly to battery?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how would I add it to the existing circuit?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Just bridge the circuit. e.g. the wires that go to the side light holder thing. Just cut those, and connect your new device in series with the leads (in line) and connect the leads back to the sidelight holder.

EDIT: You will only need to cut one of the wires. (positive one I would assume)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts