Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, if you are doing DAS then this has to be a 500+ cc bike, which is normally provided by whichever school you are going through.

But, if you are going for your restricted license test, you will need a 125cc bike with at least 12 odd bhp.

Your first choice, would be to do it on your R125. This has been done in the past, but you may have difficulty on the turn in the road as the R125 has a very limited turning circle, as with most sport bikes. If you choose to use your bike, then spend some time practising on it!

As it is your own bike, it is completely free to use, and this isn't a problem. Just make SURE that it is 100% road worthy and legal. This means displaying too FULL L plates, that are in no way trimmed etc.
Display your tax disk clearly, have a legal size numberplate, legal tread depth in your tyres, a working horn, lights, speedo etc. and there also mustn't be any recall work outstanding. You do NOT however need to display insurance documents, or any other paperwork. This means you COULD essentially borrow a friends bike should you choose too. ALSO, check your exhaust is e marked as road legal!

Also, chinese bikes are pretty much a no no. The DSA have little to no record of these bikes on their system, so they will argue that it doesn't meet the 11kw (or whatever it is) requirement.

This brings me to the second option, you can borrow or rent a bike. Preferably, you will want something with a good turning circle such as a YBR125, or the CG125. You can either rent the bike from a bike rental place, borrow it from a friend, or rent it from a school.

If you took training for the Mod1, then chances are you have already been offered use of the schools bike, probably for free. If you didn't you would be best to approach the local school in your area, requesting to rent the bike for the test. Most schools will be happy to, since if they don't have someone having a lesson on it at the time, it is sitting in their garage NOT making them money. The cost of this will vary, but normally you are looking at a maximum of around £30 which is the average cost for an hour tuition.

Please, also make sure that you have enough fuel before turning up to the test! :p

For Mod2, pretty much anything goes. Use the bike you are most comfortable on! For most of you, this will be your R125, since this is what you are used to. There are no manoeuvres on the Mod2, and so using whatever you are most used to is the best option.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
ha you just made this as I made my thread :)

edit- prices around me are very expensive! I may just have to put stock exhaust, put on old numberplate and new L's to do mod 1

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
ha you just made this as I made my thread :)

edit- prices around me are very expensive! I may just have to put stock exhaust, put on old numberplate and new L's to do mod 1
Your exhaust is legal I wouldn't bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I am aware, on the R125, all the big brand exhausts are road legal WITH the baffle in.
The only exception to this is the Akra.

The ONLY way they could get iffy, is if they argue that the exhaust boosts the power of your bike...
But 99% of the time this wont be an issue.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
Obviously, if you are doing DAS then this has to be a 500+ cc bike, which is normally provided by whichever school you are going through.
Think I am going to book DAS but first day is on a 125 so will use mine.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
haha Fisher "make sure ur speedo is working" hahaha thats nearly didnt happen for u!

oh and the termi and road legal!

another thing with doin it on ur own bike is that you can pratice for how everlong or anytime u want!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
haha Fisher "make sure ur speedo is working" hahaha thats nearly didnt happen for u!

oh and the termi and road legal!

another thing with doin it on ur own bike is that you can pratice for how everlong or anytime u want!
you did it on your bike without any problems

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
bikerboy said:
you did it on your bike without any problems
Been doing u turns on my bike and it easy when you see how wide 7.5 metres is lol. Cos of price I am prob just going to book on my bike and be restricted.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Been doing u turns on my bike and it easy when you see how wide 7.5 metres is lol. Cos of price I am prob just going to book on my bike and be restricted.

serious level it can be done on the r125 you save money

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
bikerboy said:
serious level it can be done on the r125 you save money
I think I am going to as will be to tempted to buy something big if I go DAS. Will only cost me 90 instead of over 500 to do it on my bike.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
MrAndy979 said:
yea i done it fine!
i just praticed for a hour a day for 2 weeks!
With the speed parts of mod 1 did you just rev the tits of it in second rather than changing up to third?

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
With the speed parts of mod 1 did you just rev the tits of it in second rather than changing up to third?

I think this would be the best option, I was thinking this today. I would pro keep it in 2nd and red line, which is why I was worried about exhaust

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
I think this would be the best option, I was thinking this today. I would pro keep it in 2nd and red line, which is why I was worried about exhaust
At least yours will not be a horrible 30mph+ high pitch scream in second like mine.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
At least yours will not be a horrible 30mph+ high pitch scream in second like mine.

LOL I've never ridden with baffle in, so I don't know how it sounds :D

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting note:
The smallest POSSIBLE turning radius of the R125 is 3.1 meters.

But please bear in mind, this will probably be with the bike moving 1mph, leaning right over.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Service manual :)

I noticed it in my Kawi sercvice manual whilst looking up the fuel tank size, and then I thought "hmmm... what is the R125 turning circle".

Mine by the way is something like 3.3 meters.
I am yet to successfully turn in the road, even putting my foot down!

I just accept that I WILL mount the kerb ><

I cant go to full lock either, without my hands hitting the frame, which makes throttle / clutch control impossible whilst turning at near full lock...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts