Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow r125 riders,
I wanted to ask. What type of piggyback fuel controllers out there? Dynojet doesnt make powercommanders for a 2015. What are my options? Malossi one is poop.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
Afaik tuneboss make/made a replacement controller for the gen2. So it's a plug in replacement for the OEM, not a piggyback. Legend made a video going into some detail:

As far as I'm aware there are no piggyback/power commander ones which will work with the gen2+ as they have an o2 sensor loop (also why the malossi won't work).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afaik tuneboss make/made a replacement controller for the gen2. So it's a plug in replacement for the OEM, not a piggyback. Legend made a video going into some detail:

As far as I'm aware there are no piggyback/power commander ones which will work with the gen2+ as they have an o2 sensor loop (also why the malossi won't work).
Ive been looking around and cant seem to find a tuneboss ECU that would fit in a r125. Do you maybe have any links as to where to get it from?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably the easiest solution is to just sell my 2015 and get a gen 1 with a dynojet Powercommander.

Or option two to try it out with a Rapidbike EVO. I saw that they connect to the lambda sensor and I might be able to map it with that. Plus anytime I can switch it back to auto-tune 14.7 AFR. I doubt that the rapidbike EVO uses a wideband. Maybe it does. Doesnt mention.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
the easiest solution would be one fo the tuneboss if you can find one since it's a drop-in replacement. They even have a thing which links to the o2 sensor so it has its own sort of auto-tune thing, albeit tuning to stoich (14.4) because it's reading off a narrowband rather than a specified AFR (e.g. 12.6) off a wideband.

The gen 1 with power commander still needs mapping if you actually want it to be any faster and a dyno tune was about £200 for mine. If you have the PCV then you can also get the auto tune module (which comes wiht a wideband sensor) and lets you tune as you ride is very cool but an extra £260 (sometimes come up for about half that used) and also requires welding a bung for the sensor onto the exhaust if it doesn't have one already. So far from "easy" or "cheap" if you actually want to see any difference.

Then again if you do have all that setup you can then also put a bigger cylinder, injector etc and you just need to adjust the starting map and off you go. The bike will tune for you.

Making a fresh map with autotune and PCV:
Process shown in detail here:

Literally this exact subject discussed with dynojet who make the power commanders:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I should give the rapidbike evo a go? I saw that you can get an extra module for it that has wideband O2 auto tune. It says that its for 2008-2016 models.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
I don't know much about the evo. I looked at it briefly as an alternative for mine just out of curiosity and it looked good but expensive, but all routes are expensive here so idk. I would have thought that possibly the best route, as concluded the last time this was disucssed would be a custom replacement ecu like the speeduino Speeduino UA4C (Sea Fox) Assembled ECU . Whilst you have to make the specific adapter for your wiring loom, then it gives you complete control over everything, and would also probably be the cheapest overall too. Also has autotune with wideband option if you want, but would also still likely need a bung for the sensor tig welding..

Maybe try emailing the evo folks and see if they're even aware of the differences in the years. Their thing says 2008-2016 with is oddly specific. Could be worth checking it actually does work on a 2016, cos if it does then maybe that's a way to go.

Alternatively they've never actually tried it on an R125 and they actually just meant 2008-2013

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do understand that the speeduino is the best option, even as discussed on earlier threads. But the main issue is, I have zero experience with this type of tuning. I am looking for alternatives just because of that. Even if I bought the speeduino, I wouldnt know how to set it up.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
475 Posts
yeah I get that.. the speeduino ought to be the "best" option but it's far from the simplest. I would be surprised if the evo comes with a plug and play loom too though. Maybe drop them an email to check but that could well also be a "wire up your own harness" type deal.

I guess with tuning a Gen2 there aren't really going to be any "simple" options though which was sorta my point.

tuneboss seems like the closest (since it's basically plug and play, intended for gen2, with some sort of autotune) but even that is challenging due to lack of communication from tuneboss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts