Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Got an R125 just over a month ago so though i'd get a blog started.
Haven't had a chance to do much as i'm in my final year for my degree and exams are coming up ever soo quickly but come summer i should be spending several hours falling in love :)

Anyway here's how i got it:

Should probably have left the seat on for a better "Before" picture, but neway (yes) this is Fisher's old bike.
Picked it up at a decent price considering the damage...cheers Fisher :)

First thing i did was to remove all the carbon fibre wrap and reveal a beatiful red underneath.

Alot of the clips for the panels were broken on the left side as the boomerang snapped off while Fisher rode it to mine so i went about drilling new holes and cable ties the panels together.
Left the bike at home for 2 weeks while i was at uni, so i used that time to order various things:
Cyclone V2 Alarm
Yamaha Crash Protector
Xena Disk Lock
Cover

I also started buying some gear as this is my first bike:
HJC IS-16 Helmet in Matt Black :)
Red Leather gloves off ebay
Kevlar Jeans with knee and hip pads

Back to the bike, heres a few pictures of what it looked like before i started riding:

But unfortunately on my first ride to uni (london - portsmouth) I went into the back of a car and the bike fell on its right, which caused some more damage to the bike.

The bolt for the crash protector bent which pushed the mushroom into the boomerang and cracked it. :(

No other damage to the right side apart form having to realign the panels.

After some confusion as to what happened here, as its on the left side of the bike, I realised it was paint transfer from my leathers. Lucky i was wearing them

The nose cone snapped just underneeth the left headlight, and the left indicator panel now has a piece missing. Nose cone has also cracked in a few places.

Smashed PUIG double bubble... that makes me really sad because I never got to try it out and from what i've heard they are the best double bubbles. I'm not looking to shell out £80 for a screen so dont know if i'll ever know the difference.

Been just over a month since i've been riding it and I'm absolutely loving it... even though the weather has constantly attempted to make me hate it. But once i'm finished with uni, hopefully the sun comes out, coz i intend on giving it alot of petrol to drink :)

Anyway...better get back to never ending amounts of uni work :(

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
You have loads of work a head of you on your bike
you henal brother ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Mann you got alot of work on your hands! Hope all the best you basically need to replace all panels on that bike about from REAR side panels - have a look on ebay for panel sets!

If I see some I'l link it to you but be aware they will be couple hundred, then again your saving a fortune as usually £150 for front side panel (just one)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
D:
MY BABY! :(

This makes me very sad to hear =/

Did you damage the car?
Are your leathers alright at least?

ANOTHER story of where a crash bung has damaged a panel!!! More trouble than they are worth I tell you!

Yeah, Vishal, I would reccomend you look on ebay for a FULL set of fairings. You can pick them up for roughly £300.
That way you can have the colour scheme you want, and have a basically brand new looking bike.

Gutted for you man... I know EXACTLY how you feel!

I cannot wait to see it when you have it repaired :D

ALSO... If you are fitting an alarm to it. I would recommend a new battery. Get a gel one, since running both heated grips and an alarm is just asking for trouble.
Do you have a jacket now? If so, could I possibly have my suit back at some point?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i'm henals brother.. what gave it away? his name on the fence? LOL!

Not looking to spend much money so wont be replacing panels. I've got a left red boomerang at home waiting, and have ordered a new set of crash protectors as i think the right one fell off on the way to uni :( I might not have tightened it enough or the thread is damaged. Need to check that. Still looking for a left indicator panel, but nothing cheap has come up on ebay.

I considered buying a full fairing set and may still do should i find 1 locally but I think i'll just make do.
I'm going to respray the bike over the summer so i'll just fill in all the crack's when I do that.

Nop no damage on the car apart from a tyre mark and it was my mate so he was more concerned about me then his car.

Tbh I think the crash bungs are awesome! Yes they bent in, yes they damaged my boomerang, but the damage is covered by the crash protector so not visible. If it wasn't for the crash bungs there would have been heavy damage to the entire right side. So I was very lucky I installed them straight away.

Alarm has been fitted since I started riding and no battery problems so far. I use a battery charger whenever i'm back home to keep it topped up. Also I barely use the heated grips.

Fisher I didn't realise you were expecting the leathers back... Haven't got a jacket and don't intend on getting one. I use the leathers for my london - portsmouth rides. Sorry mate!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Eh, no worries. What do you use the Kevlar jeans for then?

Well, you would be surprised. When I took a slide, only the boomerang panel was damaged. And it was something that could easily be filled with body filler / sanding...
As opposed to a crack which needs cementing...

Ah well, either way :)

Once you start using the heated grips, you can never go back!
In which case, can I have them back? ;) :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevlar jeans are for casual wear... but when i'm spending a hour trying to hit the limiter the leathers r on!

Come summer, the entire bike is coming apart and every inch of it will get the attention it needs. I just don't have the time right now.

Sorry again Fisher... i spent a hour tidying the cabling for it so i have no intention of taking them off. If they do come of its because my brother's been a cheeky bugger and nicked them.

Been looking at getting a GPS tracker for the bike, do you guys think its worth having one? The bike is always chained at night also when i'm away from it, the alarm is armed and disk lock is on.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Kevlar jeans are for casual wear... but when i'm spending a hour trying to hit the limiter the leathers r on!

Come summer, the entire bike is coming apart and every inch of it will get the attention it needs. I just don't have the time right now.

Sorry again Fisher... i spent a hour tidying the cabling for it so i have no intention of taking them off. If they do come of its because my brother's been a cheeky bugger and nicked them.

Been looking at getting a GPS tracker for the bike, do you guys think its worth having one? The bike is always chained at night also when i'm away from it, the alarm is armed and disk lock is on.
If they get past the chain and alarm... then I highly doubt the tracker will save it.
Just keep it covered, and out of sight. That is the BEST thing you can do.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Seriously, take the money you would spend on the GPS system, and use it to replace the panels!

By the way... how many miles you on?
You will need to do an oil / filter change at 19k.
19.5k at the latest!

I gave it a service roughly about 1k miles before you got it.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Are any of the panels loose? Or are they pretty solid?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its a chinnese tracker so not thatcham approved. Probably worth giving them a ring and asking anyway. Cheapest I found the tracker was £30 so its one of those buy and forget until needed. I'm torn between that and another model that is double the price, which has a motion sensor connection...so might be possible to activate the tracker when the alarm goes off. At least that way, if the bikes not in my line of sight and someone fucks with it, i'll get a txt. Not sure if its possible so haven't placed an order yet.

The panels are solid...so won't be replacing unless absolutely needed. The left indicator panel is the only one that needed replacing, but seeing as though it broke in the accident, i have no choice but to replace it. The rest are ok.

I believe I'm still on 18k, but service is planned for the summer as well. Going to be following the haynes manual and check everything.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Alright, it's pretty straight forward...
I think I gave you the receipt?

But it had a FULL checkover / service done by a mechanic at about 17k or so...

It should just need the Oil + filter.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
dont waste money on a tracker dude, fix your baby up onstead! if someone goes to the trouble of watching you and your patterns, cutting the chain and disk lock, then no amount of alarms/ trackers will stop it, simply put if someone wants it ENOUGH they will have it! unfortunately :/

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
mozz said:
dont waste money on a tracker dude, fix your baby up onstead! if someone goes to the trouble of watching you and your patterns, cutting the chain and disk lock, then no amount of alarms/ trackers will stop it, simply put if someone wants it ENOUGH they will have it! unfortunately :/
Gotta agree there I would rather spend money on the bike and something physical to lock it with than something that makes a noise. The amount of chains and anchors that lock my bike they will make just as much noise as an alarm cutting them off outside my window.

Only reason I will think about an alarm is for insurance as if you get a category 1 alarm should get a discount on insurance. Nice to see that cheesy carbon crap gone off Fisher bike looks nice with the red bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
:O Cheesy?

How dare you! :p

1 - 20 of 125 Posts