1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I recently bought my first motorcycle r125 2008
It has 50 000km of milage.
Of course, when I was buying it, I had been very excited, and I had no comparison. After a few weeks of riding, I noticed vibrations, in neutral when clutch is not pulled (when it is pulled vibrations stop, they stop not even when the friction zone starts to grab but just right before the end of clutch full engagement), in other gears too but it is much less noticeable, I think it is because the vibrations are being diluted in the momentum of the motorcycle. I was concerned, so I brought it to yamaha dealer and they said it is probably clutch basket issue, no specifics, besides that they adjusted clutch lever freeplay and did general maintenance, so everything is working correctly. Mechanic said that they work only on oem parts and certified replacements and rough cost of labor and clutch basket alone would be around (in exchange) 700 pounds, that's nearly 1/2 of what i paid for bike. Guy isn't even sure what it is the issue and I want to hold the bike for just 1 season and sell it for bigger displacement, so it doesn't make sense to me to put that much money into it. Do you think it could be a grooved clutch basket or maybe something entirely different? If it is then could I file it flat?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
wow 50k on a gen1? that's a lot of miles esp if it's still the original engine.

tbh with that many miles the chances are there's a bunch of things which in that engine are wobbling more than they should - like all the internal bearings etc, so whilst he may be right - iirc the clutch basket does indeed just slot into place so would be a likely candidate, imho if you just replace that it won't be long before something else goes and that seems like an awful lot of money to maybe not really fix anything.

honestly if it's not crazy vibration which is obviously causing problems and you only want to keep it 1 season then I'd be tempted to just leave it tf alone and always allow it plenty of time to warm up before you beat on it, and accept that by the end of the season the motor will probably want a full rebuild.

From the sound of it it's gonna need a rebuild anyway (i.e. internal bearings etc). My old motor was very obviously making lots of bad noises from worn bearings but I was planning to rebuild it anyway so just was careful to let it warm up properly and made the decision to run it till it didn't run anymore (or until I was ready to rebuld), and just hoped it wouldn't seize while I was flat out. By the end it was sounding very very bad but amazingly it still ran when I took it out.

You can probably find a whole working replacement motor with less miles for similar cost to that (or maybe even less if you're lucky).

I did a clutch-install "speedrun" video when I pulled the upgraded R15 clutch I built off my old motor (also had similar mileage, was equally shagged but also big bore) so you can see how it all fits together in case you're curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow 50k on a gen1
idk if you mean 50 000miles or 50 000kilometers, I meant kilometers and when I was searching for bike there wasn't realy less than 40 000km. Thanks for tips but I am not planing to do full rebuild cause it is not realy worth it. I was thinking about changing only piston ring to help restore some power, obviously only if piston is in good condision, if not I would change it too. Whole thing costs me around( gaskets, ring, piston) 60usd.Winter is just around the corner so I have plenty of time. Do you think it's a good idea, or better be keeping it as is?

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
if it actually is somethign in the clutch then changing the piston rings will be of no use whatsoever. Just like bandaging your knee wouldn't help with a head injury. If it's losing compression then piston rings might be useful but (based on the engines I've melted) lost compression doesn't show up as vibration it shows as loss of top speed and imprecise throttle response.

tbh you might find things get more complex than anticipated if you start poking that particular bear so it may well be better to jsut leave it the hell alone if you're not keeping the bike.

If it was me I'd probably just ride it till it falls apart and try to come to terms that when you sell it, it will be with a knackered engine, since that seems to be what it has. It will mean you'll get less for it but that is pretty much already the situation. I believe this is possibly the "denial/bargaining" stage of grief. roll right along to "acceptance" and enjoy what's left of the engine's life. It might surprise you - they're pretty tough little motors.

Also bear in mind it is entirely possible to make things worse by messing with them, expectially when there is overall wear which sounds like it might be the case here, so you may end up with a broken engine and no more riding, rather than a worn out engine and some riding, as now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts