Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was riding today, whenever I slowed down I found that my bike would start coughing, as if it was about to stall.

If I kept the revs high it would kind of work...
Although it constantly felt like it was running out of power.

Every now and then it would completely give up, and cut out.
I would then have to wait a while before it would start again.

I have an exam today, so my bike went through hell to get here this morning... and it was smoking by the time I got here :(

ANy ideas what could cause this?
The only thing I could POSSIBLY think that would cause this so suddenly, is the rain we have.
I went through a MASSIVE puddle on the way in. Didn't see it, and it completely COVERED my legs in water..

SO perhaps that is what caused it?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
hmm u could of got the spark plug wet!
when u get home spary the hd lead nd that in wd40! thats what i had to do on my rs50 and it worked!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
As I was riding today, whenever I slowed down I found that my bike would start coughing, as if it was about to stall.

If I kept the revs high it would kind of work...
Although it constantly felt like it was running out of power.

Every now and then it would completely give up, and cut out.
I would then have to wait a while before it would start again.

I have an exam today, so my bike went through hell to get here this morning... and it was smoking by the time I got here :(

ANy ideas what could cause this?
The only thing I could POSSIBLY think that would cause this so suddenly, is the rain we have.
I went through a MASSIVE puddle on the way in. Didn't see it, and it completely COVERED my legs in water..

SO perhaps that is what caused it?
no sure on that one

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it could be the wet...

And it felt vaguely spark plug / ignition related...

So put the two together, and that makes sense :p

Update: it ran fine on the way home, although I took it fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I'm gonna call water on this one.
A huge splash of water like that could find its way into many places it really doesn't want to be!
Sounds like the exact same issue my old bike used to have in the rain, plug got wet and then it just slowly died.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna call water on this one.
A huge splash of water like that could find its way into many places it really doesn't want to be!
Sounds like the exact same issue my old bike used to have in the rain, plug got wet and then it just slowly died.
Died???? D:
Nooo!.

I don't want my bike to die!

I'm just going to see how it is in the morning.
With any luck, all will be fine :)

I'll just put it down to a severe case of man bike-flu

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Oh it won't die NOW!
Only while they plug is wet, it grounds on the engine block and then you're not getting much spark at all :D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
yea use to happen to me on my rs50!
use to rain,plug gets wet,it starts then dcut out!, then i couldnt start it again!
god im glad i dont have that thing anymore!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Little bit of vaseline inside the plug lead cap, then reattach to plug, keeps out moisture ;) it's an old trick, used to be done as well on distributor caps as well.

Check your oil level as well, it's good practice whenever you do anything, check the oil level.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It appears to of sorted itself out by the way.
It ran find on the way home, then the following day I left it all day.
And the day after that it gave a few stutters in the morning, but then nothing after that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.