Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
runey said:
I just wondered what mileage you guys get on your sport demons ?
I've been running mine for around 4000 miles and not any where need replacing yet. And I don't hang around lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Depends on how you ride your bike

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I rode mine fairly hard... and did a LOT of commuting.

I covered about 10,000 miles on mine before changing the rear.
The front will last a fair bit longer.

I didn't exactly hang around on it either :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
If you stay away from the straight roads, then you can get more life out of them!

The edges of my tyres were still fine. Was just the centre where I did a lot of straight roads.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't say I like straight roads, I try to stay on the twisty roads and I brake quite hard when I brake.

Also I have a little voice which tells me to get as far down as I can through a corner, and I can see that the sides are wearing almost just as much as the middle. No chickenstrips left on my tyres :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I can't say I like straight roads, I try to stay on the twisty roads and I brake quite hard when I brake.

Also I have a little voice which tells me to get as far down as I can through a corner, and I can see that the sides are wearing almost just as much as the middle. No chickenstrips left on my tyres :p
In which case, I would expect them to last around 10k miles, strangely enough, depending JUST how hard you ride.

Reactions: runey

·
Registered
712 Posts
I never got more than 6k out of a tyre on the R125, and it's even worse on the 600, back tyre is looking like doing less than 2k :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
To do with my weight then perhaps?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I only got 5000 out of the shitty michelins if that's anything to go by?

Thats what I don't get about the Pilot Sporties, For them to have only lasted that long, they must have a pretty soft compound rubber right? So why do they a) take so long to warm up? b) Not grip as well as the demons?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I only got 5000 out of the shitty michelins if that's anything to go by?

Thats what I don't get about the Pilot Sporties, For them to have only lasted that long, they must have a pretty soft compound rubber right? So why do they a) take so long to warm up? b) Not grip as well as the demons?
I am assuming, that the sport demons have a VERY hard centre, but SUPER soft edges?

That would also explain why Benji was able to shred them so quick :p

·
Registered
712 Posts
The michelins take a long while to warm up as there is not enough tread blocks, to allow the rubber to be worked, where as the Pirelli's are a lot more treaded. It's the same as a piece of plasticene work it in your hands it gets warm, now take a bigger lump it's harder to work as much and get it warm.

Only ran Michelin Slippys and the Avon Road Riders on my R125 never ran the Pirelli's don't think they are a multi compound tyre.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I thought it was the tread pattern that have the sport demons their grips

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Greg, the tread doesn't give grip.
What Benji was saying, is the tread pattern, makes the rubber warm up quicker.
What tread does, is dissipate water and allow you better wet grip.

That is why race tyres are slick, with NO grip.
But they are a bitch to warm up.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
When I got rid of the michelins, the front had about 1.3mm, and the rear only had 0.7mm. (I should point out, it had 1mm before I set off to get new tyres fitted- you get me? ;))

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
R125 Rob said:
When I got rid of the michelins, the front had about 1.3mm, and the rear only had 0.7mm. (I should point out, it had 1mm before I set off to get new tyres fitted- you get me? ;))
I did my first and only burn out just round the corner from the place that fitted my pirellis :D

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I did my first and only burn out just round the corner from the place that fitted my pirellis :D

It's good fun! I love the smell of burning rubber!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
R125 Rob said:
It's good fun! I love the smell of burning rubber!
Yeah man I love it too... This is why when I've got some money spare and stop spending I will get to a race meet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts