Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have an opinion on steering dampers? i had a tank slapper the other day and it has got me thinking about them, in theory they are great, helps prevent tank slappers, saving you in underpants bills if nothing else :p also they look the mutts nutts, however after doing a bit of digging i have heard they can make everyday life quite hard, reduces the turning circle for one, which with the r125 is the last thing needed :p also makes turning in confined spaces tougher and commuting in built up areas more difficult, essentially requiring you to do more work, all of this comes with the provision " unless they are set properly" which i imagine is to each riders preference? what do you guys make of them? on a r125 or indeed on other bikes :)
Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
712 Posts
A steering damper should not reduce the turning circle, chose one with enough stroke length, the lock stops are there to limit the steering angle. Depending on what damper you go for and how you adjust it, is to how it feels when riding, wind it up to much and yes the steering can become incredibly slow, but you don't want or need it set like that. You can get speed sensitive ones, like the hyperpro, which you can't really feel working at low rates of steering speed, but a quick jab sees it stiffen. There are two main sorts linear as pictured above, or rotary. Which means I now need to go and take a picture ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I do, I use a GPR V4, will post picture tomorrow. It's made the Ninja better mannered down some of my favourite tt-esque road rides.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I wouldn't say it's neseccary on our bike mozz unless you're lifting the wheel every time you accelerate

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Gweglez said:
I wouldn't say it's neseccary on our bike mozz unless you're lifting the wheel every time you accelerate
I don't know much about these things but how is a steering damper going to stop the front wheel coming off the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Scott Murphy said:
I don't know much about these things but how is a steering damper going to stop the front wheel coming off the ground?

You should get one, it will make your bike look even bigger!! :p

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scott they dont stop the front from rising, they stop the bars from slapping violently from side to side, which occurs mostly under acceleration on bigger bikes when the front wheel lifts, i dont know why it happened to me but since my new tyres the bike feels like a totally different bike, and i may have been going a bit too hard when it happened >.<

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
mozz said:
scott they dont stop the front from rising, they stop the bars from slapping violently from side to side, which occurs mostly under acceleration on bigger bikes when the front wheel lifts, i dont know why it happened to me but since my new tyres the bike feels like a totally different bike, and i may have been going a bit too hard when it happened >.<
Lol no I know what they are for, not the technical side it was just Greg saying to only get one if your front wheel comes off the ground. This confused me which is why I asked the question. Reading up on them for a big bike they are brilliant but not much use on ours I don't think.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Biggest slapper I ever had was on the R125, out of seat, and ended up running over my own ankle, lucky to stay on. That has to be my scariest moment ever on a bike as you are no more than a passenger clinging on, hoping not to come off completely and smash your pride and joy to a million pieces.

As promised steering damper picture

As for slappers when the front lifts, it's more when you bring it back down, not in line, then it can snatch, causing excess grip one side, which then slips as the other side then grabs, and that's basically what a slapper is, grip transfering from side to side of the front tyre as an oscillating undamped motion.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I can only remember ONE slapper on the R, that actually scared me.
It was my fault.. I was overtaking, and didn't realise that the road surface was less than desireable in the centre of the road.

VERY rough road, with pot holes, AND raised surfaces (where the painted lines were literally an inch thick).

Had some minor wobble if I ever took my hands of the bars at speed....
Surprisingly am yet to witness this on my new bike, even though it is quicker?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry scott didnt mean to be patronising lol >.< so benji you reckon its worth having one on the R? what caused your slapper?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts