Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha YZF-R 125 2009 and it worked fine, until a few days ago when the screen didn't turn on anymore. I took the big connector out and plugged it in a few times and it started working.

Now it has done it again and won't turn on anymore. The black connector behind the tacho and screen has some kind of lube-looking thing on it, is it supposed to be there?

I have checked:
Fuses
Cable from the outside
Connections on battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The screen turned on today again but shut off after a while. When it starts working, i can hear the fan go on. Could this mean it's overheating?

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
658 Posts
I have a Yamaha YZF-R 125 2009 and it worked fine, until a few days ago when the screen didn't turn on anymore. I took the big connector out and plugged it in a few times and it started working.
a logical step...ok.

Now it has done it again and won't turn on anymore. The black connector behind the tacho and screen has some kind of lube-looking thing on it, is it supposed to be there?
(from memory) mine had a rubber boot over the connector on the back of the speedo. Don't know about any lube. Don't suppose you've got a pic by any chance? Perhaps if the rubber cover got removed someone squirted some sort of sealant in there which could be causing the issue (maybe?)

The screen turned on today again but shut off after a while. When it starts working, i can hear the fan go on. Could this mean it's overheating?
The fan will come on whenever the bike is running but standing for a bit as this is when it gets hottest (e.g. waiting at traffic likghts mine will ramp up from ~65 deg (while riding) to 100+ and fan will kick in).

However if the display only comes on when the fan is on then that would suggest to me some sort of wiring malfunction which might warrant further investigation. I can't really speculate what might be causing that though - would just be a case of following the wires vs the wiring diagram in the service manual :-\

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a logical step...ok.

(from memory) mine had a rubber boot over the connector on the back of the speedo. Don't know about any lube. Don't suppose you've got a pic by any chance? Perhaps if the rubber cover got removed someone squirted some sort of sealant in there which could be causing the issue (maybe?)

The fan will come on whenever the bike is running but standing for a bit as this is when it gets hottest (e.g. waiting at traffic likghts mine will ramp up from ~65 deg (while riding) to 100+ and fan will kick in).

However if the display only comes on when the fan is on then that would suggest to me some sort of wiring malfunction which might warrant further investigation. I can't really speculate what might be causing that though - would just be a case of following the wires vs the wiring diagram in the service manual :-\
Mine has the rubber thing too. I think I fixed it by adding coolant, I'm pretty sure it was overheating and something cut the power from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh well, it has happened again. Strange thing i noticed was that the tachometer has moved up slightly and my passenger told me that she had seen it move up and down sometimes when the speedo display was not on?

Could it be the battery? I have no clue what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
658 Posts
if you've both noticed the tacho moving then that would maybe warrant further investigation.The movement could be causing whatever wire to disconnect..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you've both noticed the tacho moving then that would maybe warrant further investigation.The movement could be causing whatever wire to disconnect..
I mean that i have seen the tacho needle (indicating rpm) move. The display has turned on again.

I used CRC contact cleaner on all the connectors under the seat and behind the display, but i doubt that fixed it as it turned on much later.

I have also noticed that the display seems to start working again when it's slightly colder outside and then work for a few days or so and shut off when hot.

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
658 Posts
oh right. i see. nvm then :eek:)

i don't think this is something I'd be able to diagnose remotely. this sounds like a following-wires-with-a-multimeter in-person type deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts