Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was with my friend yesterday, and I had to remove my antifreeze (long story) from my bike.
So I decided to siphon it out.
I was suprised that he didn't know how to do it!

It really was simple, so for those of you who ever need to remove / transfer liquids here is how to do it:

1. You need a piece of tubing, long enough to go from container A to a second container (or container B).

2. Place one end of the tubing in container A.

3. Place Container B so that it is LOWER than Container B. It is VERY important that it is lower, as this is the principle behind it.

4. Suck on the other end of the tube, until liquid comes out. You need the entire hose to be full of liquid, then simply place then end of the tube in Container B.

5. So long as the tube is full of liquid, and one end is lower than container A, then liquid will freely flow out of A and out the tube (in to container B).




This works brilliantly if you ever run out of petrol, so you can transfer fuel from one bike or car in to the other.
Also works for removing coolant if you put to much in, or any other application you can think of.

Practice with water if you like...

Just be warned, whilst most liquids are fine to get in your mouth so long as you wash them out, some may be irritants, or quite bad. If you ever ingest the liquids, consider seeking medical advice asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
You don't need to suck to start a syphon, push all the hose into the vessel so it is full of the fluid, thumb over the end, draw the hose out, then remove thumb, bingo one primed syphon. It is far safer than sucking, it's just risking get chemicals in your mouth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need to suck to start a syphon, push all the hose into the vessel so it is full of the fluid, thumb over the end, draw the hose out, then remove thumb, bingo one primed syphon. It is far safer than sucking, it's just risking get chemicals in your mouth.
Well, that is relying on being able to get the whole hose in there. In my case, I was only able to get part of it in...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Yeah, I did this with petrol from my dads car... with his permission of course! ;)

Don't ask how I managed to run out of petrol on an R125... I know it is almost impossible!

Anyway, a little bit went in my mouth, and it is fair to say, it burned a little :S

After rinsing my mouth out a few times, and scrubbing my tounge with a damp flannel, it was fine again.

I personally would not recommend it, but at the time, it seemed like the better, and cheaper option than a two mile walk to the petrol station! Next time I will think twice!


(And pay more attention to my F-Trip) lol
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top