Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2013 R125 keys stolen after just 1 day of owning the bike this weekend and after yamaha failed at providing me a spare key I have had to buy a new lockset.

The bike currently also has the steering lock on, will this be disabled once I install the new barrel? and if not what can i do to disable it without destroying the bike?

Any other advice on fitting the new lockset would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
503 Posts
> I had my 2013 R125 keys stolen after just 1 day of owning the bike this weekend and after yamaha failed at providing me a spare key I have had to buy a new lockset.
that sucks :( sorry to hear it.

changing the ignition barrel is a bit of a pain at the best of times since it's mounted ot the underside of the top yoke with security bolts. Those are bolts where the hex part of the head breaks off once correctly tightened so they can't be undone. They need to be drilled out and to do that you need the yoke off the bike.

Font Line Household hardware Parallel Poster

The problem is (iirc) that the steering lock is part of the ignition/key barrel which bolts onto those two prongs which stick out in the pic below. And it i remember it right the "steering lock" is basically a pin that pokes from there into the steering tube/mechanism somehow and more or less stops it being turned. Thing is to change the ignition barrel you have to take the top yoke off (to drill the security bolts out) but with the steering lock engaged you might not be able to remove the top yoke,becuase the steering lock means you may not have the vertical movement to slide it off the fork tubes.

Honestly this might be a bit more involved than it seems, or could potentially get complex.

If all else fails and you don't wanna pay mr yamaha to do it.. the simplest way to get it off might be to literally break the steering lock loose like someone stealing the bike would: lean back on the seat and use your legs/feet on the clipons to move the bars t the right and break it free, gently is probably better than vigorously since you're not stealing the bike in a hurry and also want to do minimal damage. Getting a new yoke for £15 is not so bad (if your one gets damaged in the process) and the ignition barrel (and hence also steering lock) was going to be new anyway, and on the frame's side I'm pretty sure it's just a hole where the steering lock pin goes in. and tbh the yoke is pretty sturdy so it's probably the steering lock pin which will give way.

I've got a blank R125 rolling chassis at the moment with no fairings or anything on it so will try to take a couple of pics on thursday when i'm in the workshop. If you can kinda see how it works then it's might be less of a mystery to take apart.

You will need a 27mm socket to get the stem nut off and you'll need a torque wrench to tighten it back down properly after as it goes real tight (110nm), and for the allen bolts on the fork legs etc.

You don't have to use security bolts when you refit the ignition barrel.. you can just use stainless allen bolts/cap screws like these: M3 M4 M5 M6 ALLEN CAP SCREWS BOLTS STAINLESS STEEL SOCKET SCREW HEX HEAD DIN 912 | eBay (M6 x ~15mm should be fine).

Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sucks :( sorry to hear it.

changing the ignition barrel is a bit of a pain at the best of times since it's mounted ot the underside of the top yoke with security bolts. Those are bolts where the hex part of the head breaks off once correctly tightened so they can't be undone. They need to be drilled out and to do that you need the yoke off the bike.

View attachment 33950

The problem is (iirc) that the steering lock is part of the ignition/key barrel which bolts onto those two prongs which stick out in the pic below. And it i remember it right the "steering lock" is basically a pin that pokes from there into the steering tube/mechanism somehow and more or less stops it being turned. Thing is to change the ignition barrel you have to take the top yoke off (to drill the security bolts out) but with the steering lock engaged you might not be able to remove the top yoke,becuase the steering lock means you may not have the vertical movement to slide it off the fork tubes.

Honestly this might be a bit more involved than it seems, or could potentially get complex.

If all else fails and you don't wanna pay mr yamaha to do it.. the simplest way to get it off might be to literally break the steering lock loose like someone stealing the bike would: lean back on the seat and use your legs/feet on the clipons to move the bars t the right and break it free, gently is probably better than vigorously since you're not stealing the bike in a hurry and also want to do minimal damage. Getting a new yoke for £15 is not so bad (if your one gets damaged in the process) and the ignition barrel (and hence also steering lock) was going to be new anyway, and on the frame's side I'm pretty sure it's just a hole where the steering lock pin goes in. and tbh the yoke is pretty sturdy so it's probably the steering lock pin which will give way.

I've got a blank R125 rolling chassis at the moment with no fairings or anything on it so will try to take a couple of pics on thursday when i'm in the workshop. If you can kinda see how it works then it's might be less of a mystery to take apart.

You will need a 27mm socket to get the stem nut off and you'll need a torque wrench to tighten it back down properly after as it goes real tight (110nm), and for the allen bolts on the fork legs etc.

You don't have to use security bolts when you refit the ignition barrel.. you can just use stainless allen bolts/cap screws like these: M3 M4 M5 M6 ALLEN CAP SCREWS BOLTS STAINLESS STEEL SOCKET SCREW HEX HEAD DIN 912 | eBay (M6 x ~15mm should be fine).

View attachment 33949
Got it done last night after 6 hours lol, cheers!

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
503 Posts
were you able to remove the top yoke without destroying the ignition barrel? I'd be interested to know for future reference.

6hrs sounds about right lol..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
were you able to remove the top yoke without destroying the ignition barrel? I'd be interested to know for future reference.

6hrs sounds about right lol..
Yeah, although the steering lock was on and made it difficult we managed to reach a tool inbetween and force the pin just enough to let it loose and once that was done it just slid straight out, there was a bracket with the front brake cable running through which stopped us from taking it straight out so we just had to snap the bracket - but other than that came out in one piece and the ignition barrel is still usable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts