Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, went to change my rear pads yesterday. Had everything ready. Should have been a 5 minute job but turned into one of those annoying Have-to-do-it-later kind of things

Basically, the large black bolt which holds the rear caliper in place has rounded off. It is a recessed Allen key bolt so I am unable to grip the outside.

I have ordered a new bolt and was wondering if it would be easy enough to drill the bolt out. It is free from the rear so should pop out nice and easy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The thread is not in the caliper. Instead it is in the caliper holder. This leaves the thread and bolt exposed to the elements causing the bolt to seize. Will have to drill from the left hand side due to breaking a drill bit whist drilling from the bolt head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought some Cobalt drill bits and drilled a hole straight down the centre of the bolt from the rear. Then tried to wear down the shell using a larger drill bit but it would not bite. SO I TORE IT APART WITH MY GOD DAMN HANDS!!!

Will fit the pads later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you were replacing the bolt couldn't you av got some needle nose mole grips on rear of pin ? As its all one pin/bolt that goes through .. where im pointing to
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried everything. The black bracket was severely corroded at the thread. I had to drill a hole through the the bit your finger is pointing at and then turn the bolt using a screw driver.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
503 Posts

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
503 Posts
these caliper bolts fit on my R125 btw.. and with them being stainless they don't rust. Stainless and aluminium still have a somewhat corrosive relationship but so far I prefer them over stock. They're still shiny after months of riding.

Otherwise you can normally get a fresh caliper and carrier for ~£50.. e.g.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts