Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my motorcycle cover for about 18 months now, and it has been used every night.

It was perfect for the first six months... absolutley 100% waterproof, but then after about a year, there was a little water coming through.

During the winter, I put a tarp over the top aswell (because the cover was leaking slightly), but it was a bit of a faf!

Now winter is suposedly over (yeah right!), I have stopped bothering with the tarp, and just use the cover, and an old towel placed over the pillion seat, as the cover was wearing the paint off on the tail.

It is now about 0% waterproof... absolutley rubbish! The bike would be dryer if I left the cover off!

Is there any way I can re-waterproof it? I have tried using the water-proof spray that you put on rain coats, but that only worked for about 2 days of rain.

I was wandering if they make any kind of tent re-waterproofer that would be suitible? Any Ideas?

It might be worth mentioning that it's a Roxter cover? Only a cheap one £15 or so I think?

If not, could you guys recommend a new cover? I was looking at the R&G one, as it has won a few awards, but almost all of the reviews for it say its crap! *clicky* I don't really want to spend more that £40.

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I've got a Motrax heavy duty cover, and it's not let me down at all.
Couple of loops on the bottom to pass a string through and tie it on for the wind!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
the oxford heavy duty is suppose to be very good! Infact my bro in law has it, ITS VERY GOOD! I will be getting one too soon

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
BUT back to the question..

You CAN buy waterproofing spray!
No idea how good it is though...
Perhaps worth a shot?

Have you got a Go outdoor or similar near you~?
Perhaps they sell waterproofing for tents?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I sell in my shop re proofing stuff for waterproof clothing I would imagine would work on a bike cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am... psychic! I have the gift of third sight!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The one I pictured is not the same as that but they seem to make good products as I have used this one on a cycle jacket.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You CAN buy waterproofing spray!
No idea how good it is though...
Perhaps worth a shot?

Have you got a Go outdoor or similar near you~?
Perhaps they sell waterproofing for tents?
Can't say I know of anything that is designed to do that, but you could probably use the same spray on stuff you get for waxed jackets...
This is the stort of stuff I'm on about : http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=12&productid=9
I sell in my shop re proofing stuff for waterproof clothing I would imagine would work on a bike cover.
Yeah, tried that exact stuff... worked for 2 days, then let the water in! I went through a can of it in about a week, as I had to keep re-applying!

I found some tent waterproofing stuff in my local go outdoors, but you could only buy a huge drum of it, which was almost £30!!! I could buy a new cover for that!

I found online places that sell smaller cans of tent waterproofer, but none of them seem to get great reviews :L

I think I might just try the Motrax cover you were on about Chip! How well does it fit?

And D, I can't really affor the Oxford HDuty one... it's like £70!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yeah, I think it is probably just time to invest in a new cover then.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh balls! They have discontinued the Motrax cover! :mad:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Oh right I've used that exact stuff on a bicycle jacket and it not let any water in. A logic miles in the rain.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided to buy some waterproofing spray, as money for a new cover has now gone into my 'Big Bike' fund.

I got some nikwax spray on stuff *clicky*

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Ahhh, it's a bugger that they discontinued it...
It fits perfectly!
The back reveals a cheeky bit of tyre if you have the mirrors folded out, but other than that it's perfectly bang on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts