Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

So about two weeks ago my R125 developed this weird problem. Whenever the bike gets hot after a decent ride, at the traffic lights when I try to start going and hit the gas a little it stalls and then wont start for about 10-20seconds. Its becoming more concerning now because it keeps getting more often. When the bike stalls, the starter wont even spin the engine, doesn't even turn over. makes no sound at all anywhere. I turn ignition off/on still wont turn over. switch to neutral, release clutch, press brakes...etc.. still wont turn over. but then magically it turns over and starts almost instantly after 10-20seconds. the starter button feels like its dead, like its nothing there. the engine light doesn't come on when it stalls, no fault codes nothing. and then after a brief moment it starts as if nothing happened.

also what I noticed as well, was that the neutral light on the dash is sometimes blinking or doesn't turn on in neutral gear, but that happens very rarely. that might chain to this issue maybe.

I haven't checked anything yet, because I haven't got a clue where to check or what to check.

I was hoping someone here would help me, any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
455 Posts
just thoughts, not to be taken as gospel but...

this sounds like a wobbly contact/electrical problem... the fact that everything is going off (e.g. not just fuel pump or a specific subsystem) maybe suggests somewhere major/close to the battery but likely involves a long, tedious game of "follow the wiring, test connections with a multimeter and unplug/replug everything till you accidentally/magically fix it".

Working from the other end it could also be something like an earth strap (missing or loose/poorly attached). Not had that on my bike and tbh not even sure it has one but have had/resolved similar issues on cars that way, since the dodgy earth connection (usually from chassis to gearbox or engine) can undermine the whole electrical system... which is sorta what you're seeing. Perhaps someone will chime in re wehther the R125 even has an engine earth strap. Not sure it would need one since the engine is just bolted ot the frame but idk

Can you get the bike to do the fault when you want it? e.g. would it be possible to make it do the fault so then youcould trace how far the power gets while it's exhibiting the fault?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts