Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so recently i was driving down the highway when suddenly i started hearing a ticking noise, so i took the first turn off the highway to check what was up, seems to be a ticking noise coming from the engine which is pretty loud when on idle, when i give gas it sort of disapears. i did change the oil and oil filter but didnt give any noticable difference.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
512 Posts
wow that's very ticky. These bikes are known to tick anyway, even when set up correctly but that appears to be more than usual.

Normally there's 2 things whcih affect tickyness - valve clearances (should be set every few thousand miles i think, check service manual for interval) and timing chain tensioner.

Those are the things you can easily do anything about.. there's other causes but they're all a lot trickier to fix so start wiht the easiest ones and if it's still doing it then you can consider other options. Checking the valve clearances is the easiest one, then if that doesn't help you can put a replacement chaintensioner on it. If neither of those help you're looking at deeper engine work.

Setting the valve clearances with the engine in the bike is a pain in the ass but doable. I think it might be possible to undo the top two engine mount volts and let the engine pivot down a little using the lowest bolt as a hinge which would give you a little bit more room to work in the ehad as it gets very tight in there otherwise unless you've got pixie fingers.

I did a video showing how I set the valve clearances (see my youtube link in signature), albeit on a motor which was not in the bike (which is much easier to do but means engine out).. i think it's in the video after the "failure analysis/what went wrong" one titles somethging like "can I get it working", and there's also one for doing the timing chain tensioner which goes a bit more into your options there too. Personally I don't use a manual tensioner anymore, I switched back to a gen2 one which I'm pretty happy with and seemed less hassle overall than the manual one.

Hope that helps.

NC

·
Registered
2 Posts
WARNING!!!

hi bud i had this 2 weeks ago thought it was nothing as i got told its normal and now my bikes in the garage and im looking at a new engine the whole thing just stopped.

Id recomend taking it too the garage too get checked bud.

ps mine is a 09 yzf-r 125 in black ill be doing a photo of it on my profile.

thanks mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WARNING!!!

hi bud i had this 2 weeks ago thought it was nothing as i got told its normal and now my bikes in the garage and im looking at a new engine the whole thing just stopped.

Id recomend taking it too the garage too get checked bud.

ps mine is a 09 yzf-r 125 in black ill be doing a photo of it on my profile.

thanks mark.
Yeah i didn't ride it since it happened, í still got to get it to a garage tho, i hope it wont be too costly ^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts