Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this week I've been having a little trouble with my bike, before it used to just start with one push of the button. Now however i can hold it there for 10-15 seconds, it trys to fire up but nothing. I have to mpin the throttle back, and it still takes a good 10 seconds to fire up, then I've got too rev it a little or the power dies, anyone know what this could be?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Battery, I concur, next time you get it started, just leave it for 10 minutes running so the alternator can recharge the battery

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
But surely once the bike starts, it should be fine?
Have you tried putting WD40?
Your spark plug could be damp?

·
Registered
558 Posts
would just try charge the battery up first, sounds just like what i had when my battery was dead. if not come back to us and we shall see what else it could be :)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Your spark plug could be damp?
Or dirty. I had a bit of trouble starting mine after it had been sitting for a week, so I whipped the sparky out (Which was BLACK!!). I was intending to just clean and re-gap it, but I had a new one lying around, and it needed replacing anyway, so I replaced it with new.

Started first time... even quicker that before!

·
Registered
5 Posts
my bike is not running the way it was before i replaced the sparkplug with 1 of those bullshit perforamnce plugs off ebay i advise you not to buy 1 !!!,, heres what i done, after taking the original plug out the engin and putting the peformance 1 side by side to check it was idealy the same depth +length thinking like it would damage the piston if it was longer than the original however they was idealy the same plug,, so i put the performance plug inn tried to start off the button and had no joy,, so i replaced the plug with the original s-plug and press the button, it fired up straight away first time however then i thought of putting the peformance plug back inn, like a (D***) just to double check wether i had put it in correctly it was turning over fine but no joy of the starter button so, i decided to give it a bump start to see if that would start it then i eventualy realised it was not starting with the peformance plug in, so i descoverd the performance plug had shatterd so i made sure when i took it out nothing went in to the whole where the plug sits inn to soo back out to put the original plug back innn to the engine too find out it would not start atall also the bike had blew a 20amp fues under the seat so replaced that fues,, eventually got it running after a handfull of bump starts,, seem'd to me it was flooded bbbbbuuuuuutttt it is running like an abserlute heap of s*** i took it to the local bike shop they said £50 per hour due to him thinking its missfireing seing £ sighns,, but i dont see how iv damaged the engine so much of a bump in fact i know i havent just woundering if it could be the coil pack ? or any other suggestions would be very helpfulll cheerse ???

************************************ive bought a brand new battery and put a new coil pack with ht lead still taking its time to start and running like a shitterr *********************************************

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
my advice is get a new battery, i had the same problem, put the old battery on charge and was fine for about a week then just refused to start one day, new battery same day no problem whatsoever since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my advice is get a new battery, i had the same problem, put the old battery on charge and was fine for about a week then just refused to start one day, new battery same day no problem whatsoever since.
iv seen a few people on here listing the battery's as their problem so il get a new battery, do you recomend wether or not to get a coil pack aswell to be on the safe side or is there no point because i am still getting a spark ? cherse for your adivce apriciate it i wouldnt know where to start haha

ive bought a brand new battery and put a new coil pack with ht lead still taking its time to start and running like a shitterr ***************************************

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I wouldn't buy one just yet, in case it isn't the problem. Would be wasted money otherwise!
Try the battery thing first of all, and let us know how that goes.

Does it start relatively okay?
Does it run badly all the time?
Has it rained alot recently?

Have you made sure that the HT lead is securely in place?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't buy one just yet, in case it isn't the problem. Would be wasted money otherwise!
Try the battery thing first of all, and let us know how that goes.

Does it start relatively okay?
Does it run badly all the time?
Has it rained alot recently?

Have you made sure that the HT lead is securely in place?
il get a battery for it and let yous know how it goes,

it takes its time to start plus i have to give it a little bit of throttle and it will start but will not tik over just dies i have used the bike whilst it has this problem and it seems to bogg out whilst driving, then it would need a push start to get it running again, also not had it in the rain whilst this problem accured the day it played up it was a sunny day so was pretty gutted haha
also yes, HT lead must be secured onn as i am still getting a spark

i can see it being the battery my self thanks for the info ppl

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
You could just be missing the spark at times?
An intermittent problem?

Battery would be first thing to check.
Secondly , it may be worth sticking some Redex injector cleanor through the system. That solved a similar problem my friend had.
Other than that, it could be that the engine is not getting sufficient fuel? Fuel pump, or a relay or such.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My first impressions lean towards fueling rather than ignition.
Have you removed the fuel tank at all?
You've got to be very careful not to get any dirt in the fuel line as the holes in the injectors are tiny and will clog easily.

Agree with Fisher though;
Get the bike on a battery charger and try starting it with that on before splashing cash. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts