Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, my Yamaha has been stolen and found after 8 months. As you can see on the picture they've made an ignition switch out of a light switch. I might sound like an amateur and I'm not a mechanic but what exactly do I need to buy to sort this out? Do I need to change the cables( they are ripped) and then buy new Ignition switch or what? I'm sorry for my English. Thank you.
Wheel Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Gesture Gadget Font Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
604 Posts
if you take the fuel tank off (or just undo the bolts and twist it to the side so you can see under it) you should see that the cables from the "ignition" go to a (red) plug just behind where the frame spars/beams meet. You should be able to find a replacement ignition barrel which comes with that section of loom and should replace the damaged part.

e.g. (for up to 2016, you'll have to have a look yourself if it's a later year)

Camera accessory Audio equipment Cameras & optics Gas Gadget

If the old ignition barrel (where you put the key in) is still there, putting a new ignition barrel on will mean taking the top fork yoke off completely and drilling out the security bolts which hold the ignition barrel in (from the underside). (you'll need to centre-punch them before drilling).

The ignition barrel is usually held on with special bolts where the head (with the hex part which lets you tighten it) breaks off once they reach the required torque, and they just leave smooth stubs which hold the ignition barrel in place, but can't be undone. They must be drilled out. see below. The hex part to the left of the pic breaks off once it's tight enough.

You can fit normal M6 bolts afterwards (stainless is good so they dont rust) if you prefer or you can get the security bolts, though clearly in this case they didn't really prevent it getting stolen.

Coil spring Tool Household hardware Auto part Metal

To refit the top yoke you will need a torque wrench. Those bolts hold the entire front end together and need to be torqued correctly. Look for a copy of the service manual online, there are pdf versions available, though usually only for gen 1. Perhaps if someone on here has a gen2 manual they could send you a copy (and me pls!). I do believe there are some "online only" versions for gen2 though I don't have the links to hand.

If other parts of the loom are damaged that might be a bit more work but I think the "main loom" for the bike runs up to the big bunch of plugs which are wrapped in tape and just visible in your second picture. The "headlight/speedo loom" is a separate bit which goes to all the bits in front of that, and should be available on ebay (look for "yzf r125 headlight loom" and the year/gen of your bike) so again, should be fairly easy to find and replace if you need to.

If they've cut into the main loom that would be a major pain in the ass to replace, so might be better to try and repair any damaged wires with soldering and/or heatshrink to prevent issues with water getting in. You may want to buy a complete wiring loom for your bike which you could then borrow sections from to repair your main loom if it's damaged. A full loom is usually not terribly expensive ~£15-30

If they broke the steering lock, do keep an eye out for the broken off part (the little pin just visible at the bottom of the ignition barrel pic, which pokes into the head tube and locks the forks to the side) since that may be stuck somewhere in the headstock or around there (or it may be long gone). You wouldn't want random bits of metal potentially jamming up your steering.

Hope that helps :)

NC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts