Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Please Help Yzf 125 Not Starting | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Please Help Yzf 125 Not Starting

Discussion in 'Technical / Mechanical Discussion' started by Bikerlad90, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Hello this morning when to start my bike and it turned over and started for about 1 min and then died,
    I then started it again and it just turnover not fireing. I leva it for 10 mins and when back to start it again and now the push start doesn’t do anything and on the speedo the engine management light and the coolant temperature light don’t light up at all, but the light and indicator and neutral light dose. Please help
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    There could be many reasons for it not starting;

Does the battery have enough charge? When you press the starter button can you hear a dull click from under the seat/pillion seat which would indicate that maybe your battery is dead. If you have a multimeter see what the voltage is in the battery. If it is over 12v then see what the display reads when you try to start the bike. If the voltage drops to around 5v then you need a new battery.

Do you have a spark from the spark plug?

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?

When you last used the bike was it raining as you could have some water in the electrics.
  4. When I turn the ignition there’s no noise at all and when pushing the starter button nothing happened no chick no starter motor.. just silence.
  5. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Start with the battery then. Does it have charge in it?
  6. So checked the battery and it’s running at 12.6v so that’s fine. Here’s a video of the issue please help I don’t have a clue
  7. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    You could try turning the kill switch off and back on again a couple of times whilst you hold in the starter button. I had a similar issue with mine a few years ago which turned out to be crap from the roads that had built up inside the switch (I use my R125 all year round). Its easy to strip it down and clean it up just to rule it out. Watch out for the ball bearings form inside the switch as you take the internals apart. Clean up the copper connection plate with a sharp flat blade screwdriver by scraping it.

Also have a look at the fuses under the seat to make sure none of them have blown. Whilst your under the seat make sure the connections on the starter relay are clean. Its the big relay fastened just behind the battery. Located inside the rubber housing.

Also try putting the handlebars on full left lock then if you look down below the throttle under the black piece of trim you will see the wiring harness. Try gentle pulling and pushing it as you hold the starter button, which would indicate a dodgy electrical connection.
  8. Okay I will try that next but would that make the engine management light and temperature light not come on ( ie doing the checks)? As that is worrying me
  9. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Not if you have a bad connection within the starting circuit. The engine management light only indicates of a faulty part or sensor on the bike by flashing slowly then quickly to tell what is wrong. As your bike will turn on but not start I would suspect a wiring or connection problem somewhere. Flicking the kill switch would remedy the bike in the same state to what you have on the video so it would make sense to start there. After that you have the starter relay behind the battery and the fuses.