Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Takes Violin out of case So here's the story Started riding at 17 on an R125, had the bike for 2 and half years, learnt alot about the basics of riding (roads in London, smaller A roads) and really enjoyed the freedom, community (Ace Cafe) the pride of ownership, modifying the bike, the affordabilty, generally fell in love with biking.

Something tragic occurred and I lost everything (financially/emotionally) and was forced to sell my beloved bike. It has took me 7 whole years to get back on track and recover.

Met a girl, thought it was true love and all that jazz, year or so later, got cheated on, she left, also took the car (I paid for, but didn't legally own) and recently I thought sod it I don't care what people think about an almost 30 year old guy on a 125, I want to ride again, regain the small level of riding ability I once had and use what little money I have remaining to invest and learn everything about what was once my most beloved passion. (Sorry for the long text).

Wanted General buying advice, I have a budget of £3000 - (£4000 if I wait a couple months), still have my helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. I was considering going for my Unrestricted and getting a larger bike, but really don't want to be that noob riding too much bike or worse, pay dearly for a mistake that would have been minimal on a 125.

Rather master the 125 and slowly progress up the power classes of the Yamaha range. If friends, family, the law and women can't be trusted.

I'll put all my time outside of work into motorcycles. They don't let you down or betray you.

Takes Breath, waits to get called a simp/noob, returns violin to case.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
512 Posts
sorry to hear about your situation. That sucks.

tbh I think you might find you're not alone in your approach and circumstance.. both in terms of the being beaten down by life repeatedly (and being determined to get back up) but in your risk assessment, and recognising your own limitations etc too. "Know thyself".

When I got my R125 i thought it would be mostly young riders on L-plates but actually found there's a number of riders just like yourself who are perhaps 30+ (or 40+ in my case) and who recgonise that you can still have loads of fun and scare yourself plenty on an R125. "Small bike ridden fast is more fun than a fast bike ridden slow" is a saying and I think there's a lot of truth to that, especially if you remove the pose/1-upmanship element and just focus on enjoying riding to the best of your ability.

Plus you can pretty much rinse your R125 most places without really incurring too much financial liability (if you stack it), legal liability or physical pain/death liability (though as it turns out you can still get into plenty of trouble on one! fun story).

Just expect that however fast you think you're going there's a good chance of seeing a sprinter van wanting to pass in your rear-view...but I used to have a pretty rapid audi quattro and that was also subject to sprinters in the rearview so I think they're some sort of universal constant to help keep one grounded in reality.

Of course there's times when I'd like a bigger bike but there's still enough times where I think "thank dog I wasn't on a bigger bike or that would have ended badly" to warrant not going there yet ;) (4 yrs in)

I've just got back from a 300+ mile round trip to the coast (fully loaded with luggage) on my R125...flipping awesome trip so don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

You have the right idea. Keep doing what you're doing :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts