R125Forum.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys inflate your Pirelli's to the same pressure that was specified in the manual for the stock tyres. My tyres felt really squishy this morning cornering so topped them up at lunch to 29psi rear and 25psi front. Do not know what pressure they where when i picked up my bike.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I used slightly above the stock settings... about 31psi.

BEAR in mind however... I notice up to about 4 psi difference between warm and cold tyres...

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
haha funnily enough I jjust asked Omar this last night. I will pump them up with sister gets home she got one for car :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Reactions: azz2693

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used slightly above the stock settings... about 31psi.

BEAR in mind however... I notice up to about 4 psi difference between warm and cold tyres...
On the tyre i can't really read it properly but looks like it says max 41psi and states that is cold pressure. I think i am going to leave to my own judgement and the way they feel right to me. have done them at 25/29psi so see how that feel on the way home.

·
Registered
762 Posts
mine are at 25/29 and feel fine.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Depends on your weight I suppose, heavier rider = more psi.

I like mine rock hard, for less rolling resistance / sharp cornering.
But not TOO hard, otherwise the reduced contact surface patch thing would be messed up I imagine :S

Benji able to shed any light on this topic?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Somebody call

Few things about tyres, they actually act as a form of suspension, so you don't want them to hard, you need to keep contact with the floor over small undulations. Secondly you need enough give in the tyre to get them warm enough so they work for you. I actually run my ninja tyres in the summer softer than the recommended because when i'm on it, they have enough heat in them to come up to the correct operating temperatures, otherwise if I ran them harder they would get too hot, then become less effective.

Some of the tyre pressure issue is keeping a decent sized contact patch, but alot of that comes from the profile of the tyre and the width of the rim it's fitted too.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Somebody call

Few things about tyres, they actually act as a form of suspension, so you don't want them to hard, you need to keep contact with the floor over small undulations. Secondly you need enough give in the tyre to get them warm enough so they work for you. I actually run my ninja tyres in the summer softer than the recommended because when i'm on it, they have enough heat in them to come up to the correct operating temperatures, otherwise if I ran them harder they would get too hot, then become less effective.

Some of the tyre pressure issue is keeping a decent sized contact patch, but alot of that comes from the profile of the tyre and the width of the rim it's fitted too.
And so you would reccomend what pressure for us?
ALSO, while you are at it... What tyre width would you recommend?
I am tempted to continue trusting the engineers at Yamaha, but at the same time a nice fat 140 or even possibly 150 sounds enticing >:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wouldn't bother going for the bigger tyres, it's a bit of an insurance nightmare or can be. As for pressures, I haven't seen you ride, so it would be impossible for me to say. This time of the year stick with the book. I never altered from the book on my R125 for pressures, it's only the bigger bike when you can really rip a tyre up, that pressures start to be played with, at the minute i'm running book pressures it's only in the summer when I'm thrashing that I change them, and that's a ride get them red hot, then see what pressure they are at, then adjust from there.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't bother going for the bigger tyres, it's a bit of an insurance nightmare or can be. As for pressures, I haven't seen you ride, so it would be impossible for me to say. This time of the year stick with the book. I never altered from the book on my R125 for pressures, it's only the bigger bike when you can really rip a tyre up, that pressures start to be played with, at the minute i'm running book pressures it's only in the summer when I'm thrashing that I change them, and that's a ride get them red hot, then see what pressure they are at, then adjust from there.
Glad you came over to this forum as always useful info and well written... cheers Benji

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Soo....

31 rear
26 front is a fair safe bet? :)

Reactions: Benji

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I weigh about 14-15 stone and I run my tires 1psi above recommended, so 26front 30rear

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Absolute max yeah, having them too high risks popping them, trust me it's happened to me on push bikes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts