Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Petrol sales rose by 45 per cent yesterday (Wednesday 28 March) as motorists followed Government advice to ‘top up their tanks’ – but many filling stations are now running low on stocks and some have even sold out of fuel.
No. 10: fill up now to avoid strike disruption
Cars that go farthest on a tank of fuel
Tanker drivers vote to go on strike
PM David Cameron has encouraged motorists to stock up on fuel as a precaution, following a vote by filling station tanker drivers to go on strike. The date of the walkout has not been announced – the union has to give seven days’ notice – but motorists have still begun stockpiling fuel.
Yesterday’s rise in petrol sales was revealed by RMI Petrol Chairman Brian Madderson, who also said that diesel demand was up 20 per cent.
He told the BBC’s World at One that the Government “appear intent on creating a crisis out of a serious concern”.
Cashflow is so tight at filling stations, many are running the lowest stock levels ever, which means they can easily sell out of fuel if there is a rush on demand. “We weren’t given the opportunity to put that information across to the Government, so when we hear today that the Government are trying to encourage stockpiling, we think that’s just completely wrong.
“Cool heads must prevail here, otherwise we are going to run out of stock rather quickly – and by cool heads, that means the Government as well.”
Madderson explained that fleet operators, company cars and van drivers are not rushing to panic-buy, revealed by the lower increase in diesel sales – the main fleet fuel.
However, petrol is predominately the fuel of private motorists and the 45 per cent increase in sales suggests many are rushing to the pumps to stock up.
Cabinet Minister Francis Maude has also been criticised for encouraging motorists to fill up jerry cans with fuel and store it in their garage – with some motoring organisations actually pointing out this advice is illegal.
Apart from the risk of storing fuel at home, it is against the law to store more than two five-litre cans of fuel at home, yet the average jerry can holds around 20 litres.
The Fire Brigade Union said the advice was “wrong and must be withdrawn

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Once again Goverments way to get more sales in, this is pathetic - its common sense if you promote panic buying thats when we will run out of fuel because people will be storing it and not using the fuel!

Luckly my R125 full tank lasts me 2 to 3 weeks :D If I go by a station and see it more or less empty I may top up with a fiver and i should be fine I got like 5 bars now :D

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I have to fill my tank EVERY day.

Reactions: Tom Bark

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fisher said:
I have to fill my tank EVERY day.
That thing drinks hard I take it

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yeah, it drinks a lot. BUT it also has a small tank, and I do about 90 miles a day.
It gets better economy than an R6...
But not by much ^^

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Fisher said:
Yeah, it drinks a lot. BUT it also has a small tank, and I do about 90 miles a day.
But not by much ^^
Your not trying to compare your bike in anyway to an r6 are you cam? I would hope it gets better economy than an r6 is about half the power. :p

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But not by much ^^
what size is your tank

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Benji said:
It's been a very silly day, we had taken our daily takings in the first two hours of opening. It was like watching locusts with the social graces of a crocodile.
BLIMEY. I only filled up today because I actually needed fuel :p no other reason ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
lol!
i went to get petrol today....then saw the cue and thought **** it...ill wait lol!
I did that at first, then saw an empty petrol station....the temptation was too much..seeing 2 bars of fuel left is painfull :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
My petrol stations are mad busy and I'm down to one bar!

Hah yeah, probably used up a bar myself looking for a damn station. 3rd time was luck lol, and as soon as I leave there was a massive queue building up.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Well, the R6 to be fair is much newer! And therefore more efficient :p
Fine. I get roughly the same consumption as an XJ6!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts