Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I passed mod 1 on the r125 last Friday, all on my own :) pretty pleased with that! (Saved a lot of money from not paying a school).

However I now want to do my mod 2 and was wondering anyone done it in Enfield? If so please share your thoughts and advice. I'm also in two minds if I should go and do it myself or take a few lessons??? I will be doing it on my r125 once again.

ps: One question thats bothering me, when riding along how should you position yourself in your lane? To the left a bit or centre? or to the right a bit??? Been watching Youtube vids and have been given a mixed interpretation.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yesterday was told that unless there are parked cars or things in the way you should ALWAYS hold the centre of the lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesterday was told that unless there are parked cars or things in the way you should ALWAYS hold the centre of the lane.

That solves my concern big time!!! I was watching youtube vids and it confused me!!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
That solves my concern big time!!! I was watching youtube vids and it confused me!!!
In the thread I made I listed a YouTube channel that had some very good video on road positions. learn2rideVIDEOS is the channel.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
In the centre, EVERYWHERE.
Especially on corners and roundabouts.

DON'T drift to the side, or cut accross lanes on roundabouts.
This is the thing I suck at, and picked up my minor for :p

But yea, if there are parked cars, you ride a good distance from them. Virtually on the centre line in fact.
UNLESS you are going around a corner, or the like....

generally just use common sense. At most it is normally just a minor, so I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice one I think I will book my test and go for it I got a quote of £150 a day lessons!! THAT MENTALLLL

·
Registered
85 Posts
you pay your insurance, stoopid tax on petrol, and road tax, that gives you every right and reason to sit happily in the middle of your lane... personally, i set myself to the right-ish, improves your view of the cars ahead of the car/van/lawnmower in front of you, also gives you somewhere to go if the twat in front jams on his breaks!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
you pay your insurance, stoopid tax on petrol, and road tax, that gives you every right and reason to sit happily in the middle of your lane... personally, i set myself to the right-ish, improves your view of the cars ahead of the car/van/lawnmower in front of you, also gives you somewhere to go if the twat in front jams on his breaks!
For the purpose of mod2 this would get you a minor though... I think i must do this too without thinking as he said one thing i need to work on is sitting slightly right of the centre of the lane.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do that too! I filter alot so Im use to doing that! but for the test purpose il stay central, then you cant go wrong

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
I do that too! I filter alot so Im use to doing that! but for the test purpose il stay central, then you cant go wrong
Yeah man it was hard not to be tempted to filter lol

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Is a set route so sitting in traffic just makes the test longer which is why I am going back to same place as not alot of traffic.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
My whole test (theory, mod1, mod 2) cost me a total of £325!!!

But, I did get a whole day's hire of a cg125, with free petrol!! (CG125's are very easy to do a burnout on ;))
and about 20 cups of coffee!

And I learnt alot, so now ride alot safer/ better.

I know it's alot, but I think its worth it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got to agree with Rob, did my MOD1 & 2 through a school and got to learn a lot. Not just road craft but riding technique, counter steering and more. I had 30 plus years on the road and thought I knew it all when I did my DAS. If an istructor is any good he will find your weak points pretty quick and focus on them without you realising.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was thinking doing mod 2 myself then doing an advance riding thingy maaajiggyy
My 2 day DAS course included a lot of the advance thingy maaajiggyy, did a lot of fast B roads and deffencive driving techniques was good fun on a 500 for 2 days well worth the money. Gave me the confidence to get my 600, may have thought twice about it before.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to update your AVATAR ;) SHOW US YOUR NEW BIKE START A NEW BLOGGGG

Thanks for your suggestion of the er6n! I really really like it reading lots about it etc and its very positive!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
You need to update your AVATAR ;) SHOW US YOUR NEW BIKE START A NEW BLOGGGG

Thanks for your suggestion of the er6n! I really really like it reading lots about it etc and its very positive!
I was going to get an ER6N, but then I saw the exhaust and one-sided shock and was like :vomit:

Now I'm looking at SV650's

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Whats the deal with 33bhp insurance? I was speaking to a mate and he had a quote for £750, then he told them about it being 33bhp restricted (which, being 18, a 400cc would have to be), and they put his quote up £1000!!!!!!

They classed it as 'an engine management modification to alter power output'!!

Fisher, Benji, had any issues like this?

Also, whats the deal with getting the bike restricted too? I read about a scam where people were selling 33bhp certificates for £60, but they are not recognised by insurers, so un-necissary.

Does the bike have to get dyno'd to prove it? Do you need a certificate of proof?

I only ask, because it would be fairly easy to fit myself, and not have to pay a rediculous amount at a garage!

(The SV650 uses a throttle stop and new ECU if that helps?)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yeah, I had the same issue.
The restriction counts as an engine modification, and normally DOES put up the insurance.

And no, you do NOT need any proof whatsoever.
It doesn't even have to be an official restrictor.

Most people in the ZXR400 forum make their OWN restrictors, and fit them themselves since they are simply just washers!
You can make them from any old metal, cut to fit, and then drill a hole in them.

You can restrict a bike in ANY way you like!
It is up to your insurer / police to PROVE that isn't restricted, NOT the other way around.

Bear in mind, this costs them money.
When I was pulled for speeding, the officer didn't even have a CLUE about the restrition laws which I though was terrible :p

If you cause an accident though, your insurer will probably check.

BUT even then, if your bike is mashed up, then it becomes VERY difficult for them to prove that it wasn't restricted, especially if it cannot be dyno'd.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Dealers WILL try and scam you.
They will try and sell you a £50 kit.
AND try and make you pay £250 odd to have it fitted, and for the certificate.

LOAD of rubbish.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts