Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm hoping you guys can help me. I check my oil level and I'm very confused.
If I have it on the side stand and check it is half empty in the stick but if I balance it level the oil is all the way to the top of the thread.
Yamaha service it last and I thought i would check it because it started to sound like a bag of spanners.

Can anyone help plz.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
alan said:
Hi all,
I'm hoping you guys can help me. I check my oil level and I'm very confused.
If I have it on the side stand and check it is half empty in the stick but if I balance it level the oil is all the way to the top of the thread.
Yamaha service it last and I thought i would check it because it started to sound like a bag of spanners.

Can anyone help plz.

Thanks
Sounds ok level wise as is meant to be checked with bike upright. Any more specific on the "bag of spanners" thing? When was it serviced?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
870 Posts
Best thing to do if you not sure is speak to the dealer you had it done at. And tell them your problems. See what they say

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well when im riding it sounds a tad rough it was sevice at 7000mi its done 600mi. bit worried about this ino the wrong level can cause alot of damage

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
alan said:
well when im riding it sounds a tad rough it was sevice at 7000mi its done 600mi. bit worried about this ino the wrong level can cause alot of damage
Be sure to check coolant level which is as important as oil level.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i sorted it now it was over filled by alot. after looking on the net and talking to a friend. I done the check and it was full both time the problem before was i was screwing it back in which the Manuel tells you not to.

i thought i would check tht to and it was ok, think it due a change tho looks abit weak

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
alan said:
i sorted it now it was over filled by alot. after looking on the net and talking to a friend. I done the check and it was full both time the problem before was i was screwing it back in which the Manuel tells you not to.

i thought i would check tht to and it was ok, think it due a change tho looks abit weak

thanks guys
I change my oil every 1000 miles. Doesn't take long and can't hurt.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bike upright and dip stick just dipped in. You will if you listen carefully hear the difference between warm oil and cold oil, when the bike idles.

It's the same when you move onto bigger bikes, my Ninja changes note, and another one that is prominent is Ducati's, on cold they sound nasty, once warm much better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i guess that have it overfill was making it sound rough.
im on fast road but that only 3day in the week and aint far.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
If you can see the oil on your dipstick at ALL then I wouldn't worry TOOOOOOO much. It's when you can't see any oil that you should be worried :p

But the bike is supposed to be totally level, on flat ground, stood upright.
Start the engine, let it run for a while, then turn it off. Give the oil 5-10 minutes to settle back in the reservoir, and put the dipstick in the hole WITHOUT screwing it in. Take it out, and you should see it near the end of the stick, somewhere on the black bit.

Remember, too MUCH oil can be just as bad as too little oil.

Oh, and don't forget to clean the dipstick before using it to take a reading :p

Reactions: alan

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thought it was meant to be to totally cold when checking the oil?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Thought it was meant to be to totally cold when checking the oil?
Perhaps :S
I might be confusing the warming up bit with doing an oil change :S

either way, I don't warm the engine up, just let it turn over a couple times...
I SUPPOSE, it doesn't really matter?
EITHER WAY. if you HAVE been riding, let the oil settle back in the reservoir. THAT is the main point I was making...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What fisher said is right warm the bike up then let it settle.

But when I did that and had it on the level the oil was right to the top near the thread. When I put light down the hole it was nearly dripping out the hole.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
What fisher said is right warm the bike up then let it settle.

But when I did that and had it on the level the oil was right to the top near the thread. When I put light down the hole it was nearly dripping out the hole.
If it EVER comes out the top, then it is almost certainly too much oil :S
You want to take some out!

A syringe is the EASIEST method for that...
You can buy them from chemists I believe? Or halfords MIGHT stock one...

Or you can try and suck it out with a long clear tube...
I say clear, as you do NOT want engine oil in your mouth.

Or of course, you can drain some from out of the sump...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did it the hard way of taking all the fairings off and tipping the bike then checking each time I tipped it
But all good now. The bike sounds better as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts