Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mistake - nevermind.

Metal wasn't even from my bike lol I just mixed up the sump cap with another.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That looks BAD.Ive never seen that before... I would have you're bike booked in for a strip down to see when it's come from, before the engine nooks it self. Might be the gear box. Better to be safe then sorry. You dont want you engine locking up on you, because something broke inside
Expensive mistake for not looking at your engine oil level. That is why it's so important.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Ouch that don't look good... I agree go and get it checked out. I do oil change about once a month and never seen that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
have you recently.changed your oil filter? if not it may be internal parts possibly from clutch im guessing
I think he says this was whilst changing the filter at the same time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That really isn't a good sight, you definitely have a problem. That is not clutch debris either, looks more like a journal bearing/shaft/casing. If you notice there are two sorts of debris in there, bits that have fractured off, and bits that look like they are swarfe from something turning.

Just goes to show that the strainer works, for catching the bigger debris.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i now daren't do mine.

Reactions: Fisher

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Christ. And there was me, using a magnet to find the smallest of metal particles in my oil to use as an indication for when to sell my bike!
You don't even need a magnet for that!!!

This just emphasises the point... CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL OFTEN!!!

I would... Change the oil + filter. Put the correct ammount of oil in. And then in about 500 miles or so change the oil (or at least filter) again.
And inspect the oil again, to see if there is still crap in the oil. At the very least, this should hopefully flush out any more shards that are left inside your engine.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I would take the bike to get checked as all that metal has come from something that has possibly broken.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
yeah, by all means take the filings to a dealer / mechanic, but realistically there isn't a HUGE amount they can do...
Just make sure you trust the mechanic..

Some mechanics would probably try and convince you to let them do a complete engine rebuild at GREAT expense.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
If it were me, I probably wouldn't be hugely worried about it, unless it repeated each oil change.
Obviously, I would be weary for any unusual noises / other symptoms.

How many miles has the bike done?

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Sorry Cam, gonna have to overrule you on this.
Be concerned, take it to a mechanic as soon as you can, engines work on very small tolerances, that much metal shaved off something could start to cause some big issues.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
Sorry Cam, gonna have to overrule you on this.
Be concerned, take it to a mechanic as soon as you can, engines work on very small tolerances, that much metal shaved off something could start to cause some big issues.
Yep same here big bits of metal like that should not be there so something has happened inside.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Hmmm, I suppose they ARE rather large pieces :S

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, by all means take the filings to a dealer / mechanic, but realistically there isn't a HUGE amount they can do...
Just make sure you trust the mechanic..

Some mechanics would probably try and convince you to let them do a complete engine rebuild at GREAT expense.
Nevermind.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
If it's only been serviced at 500 and 5,000 it technically ISN'T in warranty, depending on how picky they want to be.
Warranty is only valid when the service schedule is followed, with stamps to prove.
Which I believe is 800 miles, 3,400 ish miles 5,000 ish miles.. and 8,000 ish
You appear to of missed a service =/

Reactions: Scott Murphy
1 - 20 of 53 Posts