Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys .

bike has been hanging around last bar on fuel gauge . Today I started her up , drove up road , and stalled . Went to start up again and wouldn’t fire as normal . Wound throttle open more and eventually started . Wentans out more fuel in . Is this more than likely due to being low fuel ???? Only done 389 miles on this bike , but has never done that . Just wonders if when that low on fuel that would happen ??

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
on an older bike you might think running it dry could have caused some muck/particles to get into the fuel system but after <500 miles that seems very unlikely.

So is it brand new and only has 389 on the clock? in which case you're only just past halfway thru break-in and only jsut started going up to 8k?

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
I find it interesting that people seem to have such varied opinions on this. As far as I'm concerned there is exactly one valid opinion on this and that's the one from yamaha, and is based in valid reasons... e.g. Yamaha YZF-R125 Owners Manual: Engine break-in - Operation and important riding points

The wording is also quite specific - e.g. it says "avoid prolonged operation beyond 6000rpm up to 300 miles, then from 300-600 avoid prolonged operation above 8k"... so I guess yes, use all the revs but don't be spending much time above the specified limits, and there's very valid reasons (to do with parts wearing against each other and clearances) for why that is the case. But yes you also don't just want to be sat at 6k (or later 8k) the entire time - you need to use the whole range.

I guess unless you're spending a lot of time near the redline though, the point is somewhat moot anyway since you would really have to be abusing it hard to have broken it so quickly. Any misuse at this stage would likely end up being the problem of whoever next owns it rather than yours.

I'm also still breaking in my new engine and am also at the 300-600 miles stage, and have now taken it up to 10k a couple of times, and do breifly go above the 8k specified here and there but I also have a temp gauge so I can also make a judgement call as to whether I'd be risking overheating (which is where it would get problematic really quickly)....but I don't rinse the t!ts off it non-stop like I would normally (and absolutely will once again once it's fully broken in and properly warmed up) ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally agree . The bike is used purely as a as and when bike . Haven’t taken out much in crappy weather and won’t , as will trade in against bigger once taken full test . So, as I am nipping in and out of town , rarely above 50, the Revs are never kept in a bracket longer than a couple of seconds really .
I’m thinking it probably was fuel . I thought this bike had a reserve bar that came up when at that point , but on reading , it doesn’t ? So, it was on the very last bar , and this was changing between flashing and on.

·
Super Moderator
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
707 Posts
right I guess that would likely explain it. Especially if it's the last dregs - We have a generator which I run periodically to make sure it works and when finished testing i cut the fuel and let it run itself dry so that the fuel doesn't sit in the bowl and go bad, and as the fuel starts to run out lower it keeps trying to auto add more throttle just to stay alive, in ever more extreme swings, till eventually it just gives up.

If you've put more fuel in and it's running ok again I guess the lesson to take from this is that the last bar really does mean no fuel ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts