Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. New(-ish) R125 Owner! | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

New(-ish) R125 Owner!

Discussion in 'Introductions (New members go here first)' started by Tristan B., Aug 6, 2020.

1. Tristan B.

Tristan B.

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Hello R125 family!

My name is Tristan Balman and I've just recently relocated back to the UK from South Africa!

I started my motorcycling journey about 5 years ago on a Honda XL125R (2008) and loved the freedom that came with with as little as 2 wheels. My passion for riding has done nothing but grow and decided to broaden my horizons and take a sportier approach.

In doing so, I picked up my Yamaha YZF R125 (2009)! I love the bike - being a 6'2" bloke and still feeling comfortable on a small displacement motorbike has always been an issue for myself and I have absolutely no regrets.

I am however, in a bit of a pickle. Unfortunately the previous owner(s) of the bike were very neglecting. Tar and grime build up, rust spots and pits here and there. Don't get me wrong; I definitely wanted something I could work on as I don't have many, if at all any friends in the UK yet and wanted something I could keep myself busy with.

I do plan on sharing the progress I make and will be needing some input on where I might be able to find certain parts and hardware! Haha.

I also hope to make many friends!

Kind regards,
    Tristan Balman
    NorthCust likes this.
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Hi Tristan, welcome to the forum :)

shame to hear the previous owners have neglected the bike - there's lots of tinkerers on here though so you should be in good hands. These bikes are pretty easy to work on (imho) and there's loads of spares and info, esecially for the 1st gen ones :) Have you got the owner & service manual pdfs? if not drop me a DM.

start a project thread and get some pics up :D

*carb & brake cleaner is good for tar and grime, nasty stuff but very effective
    Tristan B. likes this.
  4. Tristan B.

Tristan B.

Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Thank you for the warm welcome NorthCust!

I’ll definitely be starting up a project thread. I also plan on maybe doing a bit of a YouTube series on it to give thanks and appreciation to those that help (as well as the forum in general!)

As I’ve just come back to the UK; I need to build up my tool collection again. Haha - carb/brake cleaner is definitely #1 on the list.

Thanks again!
    NorthCust likes this.
  5. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Welcome Tristan,

If you suspect the bike has been neglected by the former owner then maybe go back to basics and give the bike an oil change including filter. New air filter and a new spark plug. Have a good inspection of the brakes also and maybe flush new fluid into the front and back as you may have no idea when it was last changed.
    NorthCust likes this.
  6. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008)
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Heya Tristan, sorry for late welcome but regardless, welcome :)
    Good to have another fellow rider on the forums :D
    Looking forward to seeing your progression with the bike
    NorthCust likes this.