R125Forum.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, so heres my new issue with my bike.

Prior to replacing the drive chain i have noticed a high pitched whirring noise on the bike which increases with speed but stops when going relatively slow.

Additionally after my bike had been on the rear paddock stand for a few days i had to pump the breaks to get them to work and feel any resistance. When i went for a test ride last night the breaks are proper screeching/grinding.

Any ideas what to do on both issues.....

A) Replace wheel bearing
B) Refurbish break caliper
C) Both
D) take it to the dealer because i'm a mecfhanical retard :confused:
E) Ride it to Benji so he can also fit the 182 kit :D

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I like option E :D

Although, what kind of noise is it?
You could try a simple fix first, which involves taking the two pins out of the rear break calliper.
Clean them, make them all nice and shiny smooth again.
Apply copper slip (lubricant) to them, and put them back in.
You can also put copper slip on the BACK of the break pads.
This fixed my break squeaking problem, although the symptoms sound a bit different to yours...

When you put the bike on the stand, does the wheel turn freely?

·
Registered
242 Posts
my front brake squeeks like a b***h when i push them when im moving slow. i have took the pads out, cleaned em AND the disc.still no luck .any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
To be honest, the brake squeaking could simply be a result of the weather.
Mine do it all the time in wet and mucky conditions, not using the brakes enough to clean the discs off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ah cool. i bought some ebc brakes coz i thort mine wa running low turns out they have PLENTY of life left in them. so ive wasted 20 quid :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like option E :D

Although, what kind of noise is it?
You could try a simple fix first, which involves taking the two pins out of the rear break calliper.
Clean them, make them all nice and shiny smooth again.
Apply copper slip (lubricant) to them, and put them back in.
You can also put copper slip on the BACK of the break pads.
This fixed my break squeaking problem, although the symptoms sound a bit different to yours...

When you put the bike on the stand, does the wheel turn freely?
I too like option E :cool:

The noise to me sounds like when i have had wheel bearings go on the car, is this likely after 10,500 miles? Could a quick fix be putting some copper slip on the axle and try and get some into the bearings?

As for the breaks i'll have a go at what you have suggested cheers.

Wheel does turn freely on the stand from what i can tell, but this is sometimes difficult to ascertain as i have a crap biketec stand and the disc and sprocket bolts often catch on the cups unless i lift it mm perfect :mad:

·
Registered
686 Posts
i have the same stand and the same issue there. i've got both the stand hooks and the swingarm bobbins downstairs, it's just getting them fitted.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i don't have the kit to do it and it'll be much cheaper to just ask K2 to do it when i take it in to them. :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do not put copper grease in bearings it's not good for them.

Option E sounds good to me. Did you want some HEL lines as well whilst i'm at it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
are you selling some HEL lines, Ben?

·
Registered
686 Posts
how reasonable are your source's prices, good Sir?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts