Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My chain has self tightened and there are quite a few ****** in it . Ive cleaned and lubed if quite often but i think everyday winter riding is cause of this. Ive got to take it to a garage today.. What kinda price should i be paying for a new chain and labour?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Well if you are changing the chain, you will probably want to do the sprockets at the same time.
I paid about £150 I think for my chain and sprocket set, fitted, using Renthal parts.

The OEM parts are actually MORE expensive, and not as good.

Although if you are confident doing the job yourself, which isn't too difficult, it can be done for about £90 I believe.

The Renthal rear sprocket is pretty much the best you can get, and I believe they also sell a chain. DID also do some half decent chains for our bike.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Are there any Forum members near you?
I am sure they wouldn't mind helping out!

Where you based?

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
depends on what chain he go far
he would need a chain tool

·
Registered
116 Posts
The OEM parts are actually MORE expensive, and not as good.
Not quite sure how you come to that conclusion. The OEM kit is about £107 (not fitted), but comes with a good quality DID o-ring chain with split link. If you've had Renthal alloy sprockets fitted, they might look very flash, but they won't be as hard wearing as the OEM items.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
T
Not quite sure how you come to that conclusion. The OEM kit is about £107 (not fitted), but comes with a good quality DID o-ring chain with split link. If you've had Renthal alloy sprockets fitted, they might look very flash, but they won't be as hard wearing as the OEM items.
You just said it yourself. It looks nice :D
And it's probably lighter, or something....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im based in staffordshire. Theres a garge around corner from me which is where id have to go as unable to ride far cuz it sounds n feels very rough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys. Mechanic has ordered me a new chain n fitting. 45£ in total. Thanks for advice

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd be a bit weary there mate, how long have the sprockets been on the bike....fitting a new chain to worn sprockets will increase wear all round. Check to make sure he is fitting a chain equivalent to the OEM, either O-ring or the newer X-ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey. Sprockets are fine . Old chains barley worn it being replaced cuz of riding in snow/ice n wet everyday n its made it stiff. Cheers ill check tho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts