Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle road tax has increased by as much as 3.7% in the Budget. The rate has risen for all motorcycles except those up to 150cc.
A year’s tax for bikes over 600cc will cost £76 instead of £74. Machines from 151cc to 400cc will be £36 a year, up from £35.
Riders of bikes from 401cc to 600cc will see the biggest percentage increase, up 3.7% from £53 a year to £55.
Six-monthly rates, available only to bikes over 400cc, have also risen.
Motorcycles from 401cc to 600cc rise from £29.15 for six months to £30.25. Machines over 600cc go from £40.70 to £41.80.
Bikes up to 150cc remain unchanged at £16 a year, with no six-month option.
The new rates take effect from April 1.
A spokesman for the Motorcycle Industry Association said: 'With the lowest polluting cars now paying zero for a tax disk, the MCI deplores the Government’s lack of willingness to consider the motorcycle tax disk rates in a more positive way.'
Nich Brown, General Secretary of the Motorcycle Action Group, said the rise "might seem fair but it still leaves many riders paying more to tax their bike than a car that burns more fuel and creates more greenhouse gases".
MAG president Ian Mutch added: "It's always a shame to see any tax hikes for motorcycles. The full ecological contribution of motorcycles can only be understood with reference to the fact that they can percolate through traffic that cannot accommodate any more cars."

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so this have me thinking do i really want to get a bigger bike
to rape on tax and insuracne

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
It's really not that much in the scheme of things.
They can't really hike up prices any more for car tax, it's already £130 for the smallest cars out there.
Besides, they can't argue that bikes use less fuel... People report about 50mpg from something like an SV650, while my dad's Golf is getting about 60-70.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
They can't really hike up prices any more for car tax, it's already £130 for the smallest cars out there.
Besides, they can't argue that bikes use less fuel... People report about 50mpg from something like an SV650, while my dad's Golf is getting about 60-70.
My dad pays over 200 a year for his crappy old Volvo sitting on the drive so no matter how big a bike I possibly buy I know my road tax will never be as high as his lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Killachipmunk said:
Haha, exactly.
We can't honestly complain at an increase that is at maximum £2 more!
Even if they increased by 10% for our bike that is 1.60 extra for a year so if they only putting up by 3.7% I'm not gonna lose sleep about it :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
686 Posts
it already went up from £15 to £16!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Ah, but some new cars don't pay ANY tax.
It goes by emissions, not engine size ;)

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Check the goverment website Cammy, it's done by engine size unless it's under a certain emissions bracket :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well it isnt so bad actually those few pounds wont make any diffrence i think not for us on yammys :D
on the bigger bikes also no problem if you riding a bike that costed you 4k can you complain on 1or 2 pouns more road tax? :D
a little silly nothing to cry about :)
anyway if ya wanna bigger bike you gona get one anyway few pounds wont stop you you guys spending loads of money on mods that can payoff your road tax for a long time
so just say no to 1 mod and problem solved :D
there is always a way to manage your money so you will get one end with another
:D dnt cry just buy!
thats a half joke half serious :)
you feel me? lol ^^ :*

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
true that. my missus's car is a 06 plate fiesta tdci zetec s. £30 the year (no 6 month option) :)
SNAP! Focus Zetec S 1.6tdi £30 a year! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts