Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an R125 (I've been to view a few so far) and I'm forced to choose Third party only insurance.

To maximize security, I've ordered an Almax series 4 chain, 19mm links make it un-cuttable with any sized bolt cutters.

The thing is - I ordered a 1.0m chain. I need the chain to go around a ground anchor, and then somewhere (anywhere) on the bikes frame. If I can get it around the frame AND rear wheel - it would be perfect.

I've got to call them tomorrow so could somebody use their R125 to check for me? You could use a 1.0m piece of string (or even a 1.0m chain)...I just need to know if it will be long enough before they dispatch it. It needs to be long enough to start at the floor, loop around a part of the frame & rear wheel and then loop back...I'm sure you know I mean.

Having a chain just around the rear wheel doesn't seem safe enough to me. I want something 100% secure.

Thanks a bunch :)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My chain is around 1 metre and I cannot even fit my main chain through frame anywhere as chain is to thick and there is only one small hole in swingarm. I have two anchors and put a chain through the front wheel and another one to the back. They would have to unbolt both my wheels and carry rest away and bike is just outside my bedroom window.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
a better idea might be to cancel your order, and then order a 1.5 or 2.0m chain

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the small hole in the swingarm is where I was thinking...but it does look pretty small.

I'm thinking 1.0m should be Okay then, I'll find a way to get it around something - at least the drivechain.

Not sure I can afford the extra for a 1.5 or a 2.0

Spent most of my money on boots/helmet/other gear :(

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yeah the small hole in the swingarm is where I was thinking...but it does look pretty small.

I'm thinking 1.0m should be Okay then, I'll find a way to get it around something - at least the drivechain.

Not sure I can afford the extra for a 1.5 or a 2.0

Spent most of my money on boots/helmet/other gear :(
I never thought about that... through the chain may be ok but if know what you doing it takes a couple of seconds to split the chain as has a split link in it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, its hard to think of the safest way here.

If I was insured for theft I'd be happy to just lock around the rear wheel...but I need to be as secure as possible if I'm third party only. Especially since the bike will be stored outside in Liverpool.

Might as well be Baghdad!

I really need the chain to go around at least one other part of the bike - they would have more luck cutting the bike in half before they cut an almax in half.

I just measured (with the ground anchor) the max height of the chain (straight up) and its 42cm. This chain is only 0.9m though to I reckon the almax will give me about 50cm height to work with.

Need to know if that 'hole' in the swing arm is less than or more than 50cm from the floor really.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Yeah, its hard to think of the safest way here.

If I was insured for theft I'd be happy to just lock around the rear wheel...but I need to be as secure as possible if I'm third party only. Especially since the bike will be stored outside in Liverpool.

Might as well be Baghdad!

I really need the chain to go around at least one other part of the bike - they would have more luck cutting the bike in half before they cut an almax in half.

I just measured (with the ground anchor) the max height of the chain (straight up) and its 42cm. This chain is only 0.9m though to I reckon the almax will give me about 50cm height to work with.

Need to know if that 'hole' in the swing arm is less than or more than 50cm from the floor really.
I will just pop out and measure from the ground for you.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Hi mate, I personally wouldn't bother because I'd be constantly worrying if my bike got stolen. I'd get the theft cover for sure - especially on these R125's they are HOT, many threads have been around stating bikes been stolen. Save yourself the time and hassle... rather than spending all that money on gear etc you could of used the money get the fire and theft cover included, then borrow some money to buy yourself gear, or settle for cheaper gear for temp and save some cash???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mate. That means the chain is plenty long enough but probably just too fat.

Thanks a lot :) I'll stick with 1.0m for now. I'll find a way to do it :D

d-r125 - I'd love to have theft insurance but it goes from £560 a year to over £1,000...and I've had loads of quotes. Even with 2 ground anchors, an almax chain, an oxford chain and a disc alarm they won't budge.

I can say with 99% certainty this bike wont get stolen - I'm even installing a motion sensor floodlight on the house so they're disturbed - but that 1% means my insurance almost doubles. Its risky, but I don't really have a choice unless I start a charity up haha.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
I was thinking my area is bad

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I personally, to be sure, is get an alarmed disk lock + a bike cover.
The cover will at least hide your shiny nice bike from oppertunist thieves.

If they don't know what it is, it wont be as tempting.

Then, if they try and tamper with the bike, the alarm may deter them, or at least draw attention to it.
If you have it covered, removing the cover should trigger the alarm.

The alarmed disk locks aren't expensive, and require no fitting.

Obviously, use this in conjunction with a chain!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Thanks mate. That means the chain is plenty long enough but probably just too fat.

Thanks a lot :) I'll stick with 1.0m for now. I'll find a way to do it :D

d-r125 - I'd love to have theft insurance but it goes from £560 a year to over £1,000...and I've had loads of quotes. Even with 2 ground anchors, an almax chain, an oxford chain and a disc alarm they won't budge.

I can say with 99% certainty this bike wont get stolen - I'm even installing a motion sensor floodlight on the house so they're disturbed - but that 1% means my insurance almost doubles. Its risky, but I don't really have a choice unless I start a charity up haha.
surely all the security features you mentioned to get done if you used that money you could get the insurance? If not then goodluck and i certainly wish you all the best. Have you tried adding another rider and you second?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
d-r125 said:
surely all the security features you mentioned to get done if you used that money you could get the insurance? If not then goodluck and i certainly wish you all the best. Have you tried adding another rider and you second?
When I was looking I nearly went for third party as could have paid hardly anything and figured my plan was to never use the insurance. My excess is so high to get fully comp low enough to afford. If when I renew in september prices are still high I may go third party fire and theft instead.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts