Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Need Legal Advice For Lights | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Need Legal Advice For Lights

Discussion in 'General Biking Chat' started by AxionUK, Nov 13, 2020.

1. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    Yamaha YZF R125 (2008) - Purple
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    I remember reading somewhere that it's illegal to have lights on your vehicle but not on your person, don't know how trustworthy that is. :/
    So long story short - on a scale of 1 to 10 how likely is one to get sh*t from the police if one were to wrap oneself (safely!!) in colorful lights for Christmas while on the bike?
    Asking for a friend ;)
    NorthCust likes this.
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    This party about to get Lit xD

as a one off or are you planning to commute like that every day?
    AxionUK likes this.
  4. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Just a one off, you know, spread the Christmas spirit :)
    NorthCust likes this.
  5. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    It will probably end up with the general public liking what your doing and lots of phone pics being taken from passing motorists. Alternatively a passing rozzer will not be happy if you have anything red flashing at the front and anything white lighting up at the rear. Also may take offence if you use any green bulbs as they will claim it distracts motorists attention and could cause someone to run a red light. As a fail safe use a large wattage red bulb on your arse and super bright white LED bulbs stuck to your visor. If the lights flash in a fast sequence bare in mind possible problems caused to fellow motorists who may suffer epileptic seizures.

Also consider the weather because from time to time in the UK it does have some rainy days which could risk electric shock. And then not forgetting the Covid element where you may be stopped by the rozzers and asked if your journey is essential travel.

Good luck with your seasonal cheer and as a personal note try to think of a way to secure a santa hat to your helmet. Not too sure about the whole red robe outfit though as you have a turning rear wheel and a chain on your left. Plus at speed the big white beard could lift up rendering you without forward vision.
    AxionUK likes this.
  6. misiozol

misiozol Active Member

If someone is epileptic wont have driving licence , as long as that light are low in power just like xmas tree leds u should be fine ;)
    AxionUK and NorthCust like this.
  7. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    I think as with most things if you're keeping it pretty sensible, and aren't literally bound up in gazillions of lights in a way which limits your visibility or ability to control the bike, or being a menace/hazard to other road users I'd have thought you'd be fine. Ppl have bigger issues atm than someone being a bit christmas-spirited...so I'd just go for it, but that's me :) Plus they have to catch you first.

There's those led christmas lights which aren't super bright and run on batteries.. somethign like that might be ok...I reckon you'd have to be very unlucky and encounter a real jobsworth (and also let them catch you) to encounter someone who'd take issue with it beyond perhaps a bit of finger-wagging.
    AxionUK likes this.
  8. AxionUK

AxionUK Member

Maks
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    > Captain Slow's reply
    That is a lot of absolutely brilliant advice, a lot of it I didn't even think about yet so thank you so much :D
    I obviously won't entangle myself to the point where I struggle to move and I don't plan on having them flash (all the more reason for me to get pulled over), just some low brightness battery-powered Christmas tree lights.
    Previously I tried to attach a hat to my helmet using zipties but that failed miserably, I'll try some strong double sided tape and see if it leaves any residue
    I've worn some long coats on the bike before and it was the scariest thing, I was just waiting for it to get caught up in the chain - thankfully it never did but I'm not taking that risk :p
    And by the time it's nearing Christmas the lockdown will hopefully be lifted somewhat so I won't have to worry about "essential travel"

C: "What's the reason for your journey?"
    M: "Spreading the Christmas spirit in these dark morbid times ;( "
    C: "Is that essential?"
    M: "Absolutely right sir :( "
    C: "Very well"

How's my acting? ;)

> Plus they have to catch you first.
    Well you see, I imagine it'd be pretty hard to lose a bunch of glowing rgb lights ripping it down the street hahaha
    Also don't really fancy having to change bike colour (not a lot of purple chrome r125s in Leicester) :p

All in all, thanks for the advice guys, really helped me out a lot here, if I do go through with it I'll be sure to take some Christmas spirit pictures :)

PS - might carry around a mistletoe for a cheeky helmet peck :D
    NorthCust likes this.
  9. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    >> Well you see, I imagine it'd be pretty hard to lose a bunch of glowing rgb lights ripping it down the street hahaha
    Also don't really fancy having to change bike colour (not a lot of purple chrome r125s in Leicester)

lol that's fair ;)
  10. misiozol

misiozol Active Member

Lets be reasonable yzf r125 aint hayabusa so no point even staring to run :D:D
    NorthCust likes this.