Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a flat rear tyre and I need to get a new one, a garage 4 miles away will fit a new one but I can't ride my bike there so I made the decision that taking the rear wheel off and driving it down there in a car is the next best option, HOWEVER, I do not own a rear paddock stand so could I make a stand out of books and towels and with two people lift my wheel off? If it works - pictures for your entertainment, I have a monster health encyclopaedia :D

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
i'd keep the rear wheel on and get the garage to collect it for you, they'd probably charge you abit more but worth it, and they might not charge since theyre doing the works themselves :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
have a butcher in the yellow pages for a mobile mechanic, he'll come round and do it there and then

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright made some small talk with my neighbour, he says call around and get someone out to come out and fix it. We tried to get the nail out ourselves but were doing more damage to the tyre. So yeah basically what Dunkirk said, although I wanted to try and get Sport Demons on as my mum was paying ;)

EDIT - My tyres have a ton of tread :p

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I can do burnouts on a flat tyre but I really want to, and CONCLUSION I know a mechanic who will come and collect my bike and fit a sport demon on the rear only, £15 for pick-up and not sure bout tyre yet :/

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't think I can do burnouts on a flat tyre but I really want to, and CONCLUSION I know a mechanic who will come and collect my bike and fit a sport demon on the rear only, £15 for pick-up and not sure bout tyre yet :hmm:
my rear demon was £90 fitted, but yeah get both since they work together

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think my mum (who is paying) will be happy if I say.. Umm oh yeah and I got the front one done as well it only cost another £70, but its cus 'It works together' :D

Somehow I don't think she would sit well with that bearing in mind she thought I didn't need a new tyre :/

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But yeah I do understand they work together, but my mum, she doesn't care, I not even going to tell her I'm not getting standard Pilots :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why not just go to your dealer and get a tyre plugging kit. If you can find the hole in the tyre, and its not too close to or on the sidewall, its easy to fit a plug. I had a puncture on my last set of tyres, plugged the hole (easy to find cos it still had a nail in it), and continued to use the tyres until they were worn to the limit. The kit contained enough to plug more holes so I now keep it under the seat for any future problems.

Also, if you have breakdown cover, they may be able to come out & plug it for you.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I wasn't comfortable riding around with a plug :S
Most companies will refuse to do them...

Best to replace the tyre if possible.

As for removing the wheel in future, if you ever need to do it.
Best way, is whilst standing on the left hand side of the bike, pull it towards you so that it lifts up on to the sidestand.
You can get either the front, or rear wheel of the ground, you can also spin it through 360 degrees if you need to turn it around, and if you are quick enough, can remove a wheel while it is like this.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't think my mum (who is paying) will be happy if I say.. Umm oh yeah and I got the front one done as well it only cost another £70, but its cus 'It works together' :D

Somehow I don't think she would sit well with that bearing in mind she thought I didn't need a new tyre :hmm:
tell her it's for your safety (which in all honesty it is!)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just go to your dealer and get a tyre plugging kit. If you can find the hole in the tyre, and its not too close to or on the sidewall, its easy to fit a plug. I had a puncture on my last set of tyres, plugged the hole (easy to find cos it still had a nail in it), and continued to use the tyres until they were worn to the limit. The kit contained enough to plug more holes so I now keep it under the seat for any future problems.

Also, if you have breakdown cover, they may be able to come out & plug it for you.
Already have one plug and this puncture is not a hole its torn the tyre.

Also Fisher this is what they did when they took the wheel off to put the first plug in, however it looked pretty tricky even with two people :p

My mother does not care for my safety :(
I joke of course...:/ but I mean I get paid in like 2 weeks so I can invest in one then :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Companies refusing to plug tyres, depends alot on the bike it's fitted to and the speed rating of the tyre. They won't plug the tyres on my ninja, but they would happily on my old R125.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There have been many discussions about tyre plugging over on BCF and there are plenty of owners who have plugged them and still done track days on them on 600+ sportsbikes with no problems whatsoever. If you go out & buy a used bike, how are you to know if the tyres have previously been plugged ? Unless you look VERY carefully at every bit of the tyres you'd never know there was one there, so if you're that paranoid, next time you buy a bike you'd have to put new rubber on it immediately or take the tyres off to look for plugs!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm enough of a geek to check every inch of the tyre, but I guess it's the same as when i'm at work. The guys who do my tyres, told me they wouldn't plug mine, maybe they have had bad experience I don't know, but they told me they wouldn't. When it's somebodys job, I tend to let them get on with it.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
When I had mine plugged, they invoiced me for 'valeting'. And told me strictly not to tell anyone that they had plugged the tyres.
They also made me take my OWN wheel off.

They supplied the paddock stand, and tools, and they supervised me removing the wheel, making sure I did it properly etc.

All because of their insurance or some other malarky.
Was very suspcious :p
But they were convenient, cheap, and I only needed the plug as a temporary measure until I was paid the following week ^^

1 - 19 of 19 Posts