Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys.
i need to check/adjust the valve clearance on mine this weekend.
i was qouted £70 from a local garage and i think it is fair price.
however i would like to try and do it myself so i want to know how complicated.
and i just need to confirm which valve is which, i mean the intake valves should be the ones near the fuel injection and the exhaust valves are near the exhaust pipe, am i right?

thank you

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
How many miles is your bike on?
Shouldn't really need checking yet...

But £70 to adjust them isn't a bad deal at all!
I personally would take that offer.

I don't fancy opening up the engine, and using feeler gauges, and adjusting shims etc.
I took my bike to the garage to do, although for me it was £350 due to having 16 valves, which ALL needed adjusting!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
The instructions are on page 3-3 of the service manual.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
And sorry, forgot the R125 doesn't use shims! Tappets instead :p

Reactions: R125 Rob

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
So actually, it shouldn't be that complicated if you have all the correct tools.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i have done some research and i have the instruction. on the mnual it did not say which ones is the exhaust valves and which intake valves.

im a diy person so i like doing it myself.
oh and btw my bike just passed 18k today.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
its not hard but if you get it wrong you my have to pay more to sort it out

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
WHy does it matter? Surely the clearances are all the same?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i wouldnt do it if your not confident...im not sure if im confident enough to do it on a bike...i can do it on cars,just not sure weather i could do with all the tight spaces on the bike!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
i wouldnt do it if your not confident...im not sure if im confident enough to do it on a bike...i can do it on cars,just not sure weather i could do with all the tight spaces on the bike!
I think he is confident... He just wants to double check if the valves are the right way around :p

You SHOULD be able to see surely? One will be joined to the throttle body and the other side will go to the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think he is confident... He just wants to double check if the valves are the right way around :p

You SHOULD be able to see surely? One will be joined to the throttle body and the other side will go to the exhaust manifold?
yea should be ok then:)
yea you will be able to see...just might get a bit fidley if you got chubby hand like me:)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Plus, the intake ones should be fairly clean (around the port) and the exhaust ones would be fairly black and sooty.
Now THAT is an intelligent piece of advice!!! Way to use your head Rob ^^

Reactions: R125 Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i phoned a garage and asked the mechanic. i did sound stupid with my question bit i was right after all:)
i just want to sort it out before i change oil.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad if you know basic mechanics. If you're unsure about doing it, it maaaybe not worth the risk for such a small cost.
You'll also need to clean off the old gasket and replace it before refitting the head.
As Rob said though, the exhaust valves will be black, and I'm ashamed nobody thought of that earlier! :p

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
IF you do this yourself.
Care to make a photo guide? Or at LEAST take photos of each step?

...Or a video ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IF you do this yourself.
Care to make a photo guide? Or at LEAST take photos of each step?

...Or a video ;)
sorry i just read your comment just now,,,
it is very easy to if you follow the instruction on the manual
but as mentioned before, you have a very limited space and so i would recomend using short rachet and luckily for me my hands are not "chubby":).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts