R125Forum.com banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
at the speeds i am able to (currently) slightly pop wheelies at, wind is really not a big factor hehe ;) (5-10mph)

*though I do hope to improve on this real soon

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
got the new bars setup finished up today - as you can see, acres of room for the indicator controls, the 1-finger clutch and the other rear handbrake lever which is on there in the pic. It's not the fancy brembo one which looks similar, this is the cheaper adelin equivalent which afaik is maybe used on some hondas (?)

I made the same setup for a friend who wanted a little bit of bar rise but no more width, so wouldn't have been able to use the same clip-on arrangement as I've got currently. It turned out so well I decided I wanted the same.

The key thing is there's aluminium spacers on the back side of the yoke, which are machined to the same height as the nearest "rib" in the casting. The washers spread the load across the casting rib, but also back against the yoke's back side and the cutouts in the washers help further locate everything nicely.

I wasn't sure it would be solid enough but it turned out really nicely. I've improved the accuracy of placing the holes now and was able to drill these on the press this time. the positioning of the risers seems spot on.

Hope it all fit in place ;)

P1050967_2k.jpg

P1050979_2k.jpg

P1050986_2k.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
wearing might be a bit of an overstatement by this point ;), but yes. Not really much point doing them while I'm working on bike stuff hence they're always a wreck in pics, but I do occasionally have to look presentable for work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
erm.. can't say I really noticed it, though they're not really much/any wider than my previous clipons, which added about an inch to each side over stock. Also bear in mind I found the OEM clipons a "stretch" whether turning or not because of my back injury, so the slightly more relaxed initial position of the motox bars probably negates any additional reaching during lock.

I suppose I noticed a bit of difference there initially when I fitted those but it was more the "wow she wants to play" feeling from the increased steering control and (at the time) freshly lowered front end (I had to pull the fork tubes thru the head by about 5mm to fit the previous clipons which made for a slightly more aggressive stance). The only downside to that was that it *seemed* harder to reliably steer with no hands at low speeds (likely due to slight rake/trail change idk?). I've not tested that since putting the motox bars on but I'm hoping this will be improved, since slow speed no-hands control is actually pretty important to me.

Currently however, most noticeable is the riding position change...weight seems a bit further back by default (which is what I was hoping to achieve), it feels a bit more laid back in general somehow (also good) and I can almost ride standing up reasonably comfortably so position should be perfect for standup wheelies. I find myself just cruising along at low rpm and looking around more, rather than necessarily flat out banzai mode everywhere (but you can still get down behind the fairing if needed).

It feels a bit different in corners now too with the weight back, having to somewhat re-learn how to corner hard but so far it seems to still be able to do it, it just feels a bit different, but I keep finding myself grinning lots so I guess that's good :D

I'm actually surprised by how different it feels considering the motox bars are actually no higher than the old clipons...in fact I can see out of the mirrors slightly better now than I could before and they fold up now without hitting the bars, which didn't used to be the case, so they're actually lower than the prev clipons, it's just a slight angle change, so howcomes its feel so different?

I really like how it rides now though - feels right for what I want, poised for naughtiness ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
dual real caliper carrier is done \o/ now I'm just waiting on the brake hose..yikes I think that's all the building stuff done for the moment. fork seals is the only major thing left on the list and I may have a solution for that.

P1060056_cropped_p_2k.jpg

P1060047_2k.jpg

I was going to just add the extra bit to my existing caliper carrier and keep the new one as a spare but it was looking a bit sorry for itself so I went with the newer ones. Obviously just tack-welded in the pic but shows how they fitted together nicely.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not wishing to get too technical. But......your engine has dropped out. Did you not notice a loud thump followed by that feeling that you've run over something?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
lmao xD I did wonder what that clunk was ;)

Short version - was upset, messed up and put it into wrong gear *hard*, bye bye piston rings.

Long version:

engine out:

Just editing the "failure analysis" atm.

Hopefully the part I've been waiting on (for 2 weeks now!) should be here tomorrow and then I can try to get it all back together on the new 180cc cylinder...otherwise I'll be giving gobikes125 a call ;) fingers very crossed!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
holy sh!t, much to my amazement it's an engine once again \o/

(and now 180cc!)

Hopefully put it back in the bike tomorrow or weds, depending on weather. Still *plenty* of ways it can all go horribly wrong, but a few less than this morning ;)

P1060198_cropped_2k.jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hmm weird, I thought I'd posted about this already but apparently not - it runs again, now on 180cc \o/

Just done first oil change which resulted in eliminating some more plastic debris, will do another in a week or so and repeat until no more bits. I would imagine regular changes are for the best anyway at this point since the nickel has to wear off the cylinder coating to expose the silicon carbide, plus rings bedding in etc.

I'm still keeping it under 5k and being really gentle with it but even so it's had no problem accelerating even in top gear, which I am liking a lot. I've only gone over 5k momentarily once or twice but it sounded really nice...looking forward to hearing more of that.

This is just with the standard head, standard cam etc too. I'm not gonna get into fancy stuff on this motor, will wait till I've got the "dyno" set up and then build up the other motor and A/B test the components one by one till I get the best combination. *that* motor will be no holds barred ;)

I think the record (that I've found anyway) for these little motors is in the 35-40hp range (200cc and all the mods) so there's potentially still quite a bit of headroom ;)

Got a few bits to do before the mot but then with a bit of luck she should be all set. Could maybe do with a replacement rear winter tyre as my other one got a nail in it but it's losing the front end I worry about, not the rear so maybe just wang the winter front back on and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
At 35-40hp you can probably sign yourself up to the "gearbox/clutch" failure club unless your steady on the acceleration front. Regards tyres I have run Pirelli Sport Demon all year round since I got the R125.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
> At 35-40hp you can probably sign yourself up to the "gearbox/clutch" failure club unless your steady on the acceleration front

yeah I realise that... tbh I doubt I'll get anywhere near that but it's nice to have something to aim for/what's possible.

> Regards tyres I have run Pirelli Sport Demon all year round since I got the R125.

I'm glad that's been working for your situation but my experience has been a bit different..

I love the sport demons for dry and they're ok in light rain but find them to be a bit sketchy in heavy rain, sleet, frost and snow and have had one or two situations where that's been a problem, so, like on my previous car/s, I put winter tyres on, though I realise that's not something anyone does this side of the channel. Then again that's probably also why the rest of country grinds to a halt at the first whiff of snow and I generally don't ;)

when I analysed why I didn't like riding in the rain I realised it was 3 things - being cold/uncomfortable (affects concentration, numb hands not great either), worrying about losing the front end in case of sudden braking, and not being able to see where I was going. Pinlock visor and vee-wipe sorted the visibility, winter tyres sorted the grip and I improved my layers, gloves etc for comfort...so now I'm happy to ride in pretty much any conditions right up to deep snow.

I much prefer how sharp and alive the bike feels on the sport demons vs the winter tyres but for in slippy conditions the heidenau's were really confidence-inspiring because they are so insanely grippy (even in frost and snow, and deep mud).

The slightly more upright/neutral position from the motox bars also helps a bit though that's more my accident than design..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Fair play regards tyres. If you don't feel confident on the bike then it affects your concentration and can make you more apprehensive making you over cautious which can be worse than riding like a spanner!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Flew thru the mot with no advisories. I think that's a first for any vehicle I've ever owned!

done 3 or 4 little trips out now and still running...so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed and another oil change at the weekend if all is still well.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts