Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, my right hand mirror has became loose, as in, as im driving along i will glance over and the whole arm will have moved in over my hand on the bars, which in itself is dangerous, but more worrying i obviously cant see anything bar the side of my tank with it like that, it started last week, would move about a cm is all, having been out today and it has worsened, last week when i first noticed i tried tightening the allen bolt on the arm, which was as tight as it would go, i dont want to risk tightening it anymore oncase the bolt shears and then i will be out of pocket for new mirrors, SO anyone any ideas? has this happened? i was thining of getting a few plastic/rubber washers and removing the arm to insert underneath, again any opinions on that? thanks in advance guys :)

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Happens all the time...
My mirrors have both done it, by I can neither loosen or tighten them.
If you can get the bolt undone, the best thing to do is a new set of washers and such.
If not, I found that loosening it if you can, wrapping some string in the gap and then replacing it back on is the best option.
Mine are nearly good as new now :p

Reactions: mozz

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happens all the time...
My mirrors have both done it, by I can neither loosen or tighten them.
If you can get the bolt undone, the best thing to do is a new set of washers and such.
If not, I found that loosening it if you can, wrapping some string in the gap and then replacing it back on is the best option.
Mine are nearly good as new now :p
the string idea actually sounds really good lol, :p will have a go on sat and see if i can get them off

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Yeah, this is a VERY common problem.

VARIOUS methods to try and fix...
Shake proof washers are a good TEMP fix.

I ended up buying a new mirror, as it snapped off anyway :p

And people wonder why I get so LIVID when they knock my mirrors!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Shake proof washers are not a temp fix!! They are a permanent fix!!

This happened to my bike over a year ago, and I got a packet of shakeproof washers from B&Q. Only need one washer between the mount bracket and the mirror 'arm', and your done!

Been as good as, if not better than new!

THESE are the ones. (They are exactly the right size)

If one isn't enough, then just put two on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep thats happened to me my left mirror is completely folded and i cant undoo the nut that holds it in place as it has been rounded now the right hand mirror is starting to do the same only thing is the bolts are locked in solid and cant move them at all

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
It is a permanent solution Rob, but can you fold your mirrors in anymore?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Yep thats happened to me my left mirror is completely folded and i cant undoo the nut that holds it in place as it has been rounded now the right hand mirror is starting to do the same only thing is the bolts are locked in solid and cant move them at all
The bolts are held in by thread lock (I think) so they aren't very easy to undo. They are very soft aswell, so get rounded heads very easily (like your case). The bolts themselves being too loose does not cause the mirror to fold, it's the washers that wear out.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Considering giving the bolts a go with a little bit of flame, see if I can get that threadlock broken.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ended up having to drill out the bolt head, undo the bolt using pliers, then find a similar bolt in my tool box to do the job.

It has happened to me twice, once on each side. I've found that the WeMoto replica's are much better than the factory mirrors.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeh i know ive found out im trying too dort it all out now with mirrors im gonna try and get tham looae if not just take em off and fit new

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Yeah Rob, I'm not gonna head it with the mirror ON!
I'd take it off and borrow the cooker hob :p

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Shake proof washers are not a temp fix!! They are a permanent fix!!

This happened to my bike over a year ago, and I got a packet of shakeproof washers from B&Q. Only need one washer between the mount bracket and the mirror 'arm', and your done!

Been as good as, if not better than new!

THESE are the ones. (They are exactly the right size)

If one isn't enough, then just put two on.
where do you put this washer?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
The order is as follows:

Bolt (obvoiusly)
Original Plastic washer
Mirror 'arm'
Shake-proof washer
Original Plastic washer
Mirror mount

Make sence? (Basically, you need to keep the original washers on aswell)

If the mirror is still loose, then I guess you could add anoother shakeproof washer above the mirror arm

1 - 20 of 62 Posts