Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You now need to of posted a MINIMUM of 4 posts before you can create a thread.

This should hopefully stop some of the spam, but unfortuantely it means that new members may get confused and find that they are unable to introduce themselves or the like.

The only other option is to have someone manually approve the accounts. This would stop a forum bot, but requires daily action from someone.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Don't like the idea of new members not being able to say hi.
If you like, I could approve them, I am on here every day more or less.
Up to you :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I THINK it needs to be an admin, using the admin panel which is the only problem, otherwise I would just do that.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I THINK it needs to be an admin, using the admin panel which is the only problem, otherwise I would just do that.
Hmm, that is a problem.
I think then that the way it is currently working is more suitable, where the mods can just remove/ban the spammers. Having new members unable to say hi is a pretty big issue if you're trying to increase site traffic.
Especially if they have made an account simply to ask for help or advice, which I know a lot of people do

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've seen others with similar system. What you guys could do is just make a grouped introduction thread for newcomers to say hi or whatever.. I've seen that being used on most of the forums.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I've seen others with similar system. What you guys could do is just make a grouped introduction thread for newcomers to say hi or whatever.. I've seen that being used on most of the forums.
Do you mean the introduction thread that's already there?
And do you mean so new members can post there and there ONLY until their account is accepted/approved by a mod?
That's a good idea.
Perhaps show it so new member can ONLY see the new members thread, and get a message explaining how this system works to them, so they understand.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hmm, I dont know but Fisher said 4 minimum posts to create a Thread, I think, they'll be able to comment on any other threads that are already created. Then again, I'm not sure.

But then again, spammers could just hijack other peoples thread :p at least pointless threads are prevented, and posts can be deleted anyways.

But yeah, if they were only allowed to post on the introduction thread till they are accepted, could work too.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Hmm, I dont know but Fisher said 4 minimum posts to create a Thread, I think, they'll be able to comment on any other threads that are already created. Then again, I'm not sure.

But then again, spammers could just hijack other peoples thread :p at least pointless threads are prevented, and posts can be deleted anyways.

But yeah, if they were only allowed to post on the introduction thread till they are accepted, could work too.
I think the best way is the way it is already being handled. No complicated add ons to the site, and seems to be working already. At least, I've seen a dip in the amount of spammers lately.
Must be the holidays.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Can we not add a captcha box to the sign up screen, we know spam bots cannot get past these!!

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Jed said:
I think the best way is the way it is already being handled. No complicated add ons to the site, and seems to be working already. At least, I've seen a dip in the amount of spammers lately.
Must be the holidays.
Yea reason for that I delete and ban them I was doing around 5-10 a day

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Or simply when a new member registers have a message or add to the current message that they need to wait for there introduction thread to be approved.

EVEN BETTER - Have a premade introduction thread and then the new guys can just COMMENT on it.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Or simply when a new member registers have a message or add to the current message that they need to wait for there introduction thread to be approved.

EVEN BETTER - Have a premade introduction thread and then the new guys can just COMMENT on it.
That's a cool idea d-r125.

Or set it so as soon as Spam is uploaded, the system automatically sends a horrendous virus back to them that sets their PC on fire? :D

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have one but they can break it
I have already switched to Captcha, but that doesn't stop human spammers from signing up.
I think, the only method would be to manually approve all members.
If a spammer has to wait for their account to be approved, they wont bother coming back.

They will simply move on to the next forum in their list.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I have already switched to Captcha, but that doesn't stop human spammers from signing up.
I think, the only method would be to manually approve all members.
If a spammer has to wait for their account to be approved, they wont bother coming back.

They will simply move on to the next forum in their list.
I think they are finally getting the message. Only seen one spammer this past week.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Jed said:
I think they are finally getting the message. Only seen one spammer this past week.
I had 3 this week

1 - 20 of 24 Posts