Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
No I think Misiozol has a microsquirt on his bike but tapparently that's overkill. He mentioned the "Rabbit" ecu as possibly a better choice (than the microsquirt) and I'd already been looking at the speeduino, afaik both of which are arduino-based, which is very cool. There may be others.

I don't see how the ecu on that link can be "for 2008-2016" models when they use such different systems. I mean surely they must have tested it - perhaps drop the seller a message and see if they know/can explain how it works with the O2 sensor on the later models. If they get vague it probably doesn't allow for it lol

Afaik these custom ecu projects are generally open source so you can just get all the bits and make it yourself if you like, but there seem to be people selling kits with varying degrees of prebuiltness. The adapter harness to go from the rabbit/speeduino to where your normal ECU plugs in will need making from scratch tho, but I think that sounds worse than it is and it sounds like the rest of the wiring harness stays roughly as is.

It sounds like on some/all(?) of these systems there's similar functionality to my "autotune" box on my PCV which adjusts the map on the fly to hit a target AFR, but obviosuyl for that you will need a wideband lambda sensor, but chances are if you're going this way you're gonna want one of those anyway ;) The autotune box is so good, whatever solution I go for will need to support something like that.

one such place selling the rabbit ecu prebuilt:
https://www.tindie.com/products/ecumatt/rabbit-ecu-v12-populated-pcb-with-arduino-sockets/

speeduino (looks like kinda large board tho for a little bike):
https://speeduino.com/home/

On my other motor I want to do some boost stuff whcih means I'll need access to the spark timing which the PCV and friends don't give me so I don't really have a choice. I could run boost on the PCV and have a pressure switch flip it from "off boost" fuel map to an "on boost" map but it's only the fuelling and I will def need timing too, plus it's not really elegant with the fuelling. These fully custom jobs seem to go off map pressure, throttle position, RPM and temp which should give a nicer response and greater degree of control.

What I'd still like to know from Misiozol is when I looked into fitting a megasqurt to my car years ago, one big thing you had to do was weld on a crank position pulley (for old cars which didn't have that already). Do we have to do anything like that on the YZF to run the custom ECU or does it already have everything it needs?

Also If we're running based on MAP (manifold absolute pressure) then don't we need to add a map sensor into the intake somewhere? Is that a problem you've solved already too Misiozol?

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll need to go custom ECU on this motor but unless there's a good reason not to, I reckon this sort of thing is usually easier to figure out if we each have the same thing, then we can help each other and share info/maps etc. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to buy yet but it won't be long so if this is something you're (hildero) gonna have to figure out too perhaps we can cooperate a bit?

(among other things) for work I write software, sometimes for adruino and similar platforms so hopefully that'll be some use ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello peeps, so they fixed the bike at the diagnostics centre. The malossi map was WAYYYYY off of what it was supposed to be. Another thing i'd like to ask is what else do I need with this boost? bigger radiator perhaps? 5 spring stronger clutch? high flow airfilter? exhaust? give me anything please, just to make the bike more reliable/trustworthy on longer rides.

·
Registered
136 Posts
>>>What I'd still like to know from Misiozol is when I looked into fitting a megasqurt to my car years ago, one big thing you had to do was weld on a crank position pulley (for old cars which didn't have that already). Do we have to do anything like that on the YZF to run the custom ECU or does it already have everything it needs?

It has all as it has ECU so it has to have CKPS ;)

>>>Also If we're running based on MAP (manifold absolute pressure) then don't we need to add a map sensor into the intake somewhere? Is that a problem you've solved already too Misiozol?

There is MAP in TB ;) or you can install second for current athmospheric pressure .

>>>I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that i'll need to go custom ECU on this motor but unless there's a good reason not to, I reckon this sort of thing is usually easier to figure out if we each have the same thing, then we can help each other and share info/maps etc. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to buy yet but it won't be long so if this is something you're (hildero) gonna have to figure out too perhaps we can cooperate a bit?

Sure we can can share maps as they common in all projects, but keep in mind that fine tune is still done per bike kind of on the road .

Currently I'm in need of cylinder and piston as trying to make little experiment :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
>> There is MAP in TB

you're saying there is a map sensor in the existing throttle body? Not on the 08-13 version tho surely? (v1 tps?)

>> Sure we can can share maps as they common in all projects, but keep in mind that fine tune is still done per bike kind of on the road .

tbh it wasn't so much maps cos as you say they're street tuned, and if there's autotune facilities then why bother, more like just how things are easier when your mate has already done that [conversion or thing] a couple of times already. Like you were looking for ignition maps with yours at the start. Sure you figured it out but doing it over again would be easier for you.

>> Another thing i'd like to ask is what else do I need with this boost? bigger radiator perhaps? 5 spring stronger clutch? high flow airfilter? exhaust? give me anything please, just to make the bike more reliable/trustworthy on longer rides.

an easy one and probably a good start is to follow the break-in procedure properly ;)
http://www.yam-r125.net/engine_break_in-38.html

>>Another thing i'd like to ask is what else do I need with this boost? bigger radiator perhaps? 5 spring stronger clutch? high flow airfilter? exhaust? give me anything please, just to make the bike more reliable/trustworthy on longer rides.

your motor might benefit a bit from better breathing on both the intake and exhaust side. Maybe just wait and see if you get clutch slip - some do, some seem to be ok. Mine did so I put an uprated 6-spring clutch from an R15 in it (how-to video below) but it wasn't particularly cheap or straightforward, esp now with shipping restrictions on weight etc. At least some of my "clutch slip" was actually a knackered rear shock and just the back wheel skipping at speed. It was also slipping though, but I guess it depends what sort of power you make and where in the rpm range. Mine's pretty lively and all low+mid so hence it prob slipped more.

Temp-wise mine's been ok though it does seem to run a bit hotter. There's bigger rads on motogaga if you search under R15. I fitted a second temp probe so that I could keep an eye on temps once my first wideband stopped working. It gets hottest when waiting, at full pelt she runs much better temps. Again, see if it keeps overheating. I'm thinking about adding an LED so I can see when the fan's on as that would be helpful too.

I've done about 2k on my new cylinder now after breaking it in very carefully and it's been brilliant. The motor has some issues still but they're lingering from when I broke it before, not because of the 180cc upgrade. I'm building my spare motor up to the same spec but with a cam in too as I thnk that'll help the top end power, but otherwise it's spot on and I'm super happy with it and it's been as reliable as it ever was :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
>>>you're saying there is a map sensor in the existing throttle body? Not on the 08-13 version tho surely? (v1 tps?)

Yep check schematics

>>>tbh it wasn't so much maps cos as you say they're street tuned, and if there's autotune facilities then why bother, more like just how things are easier when your mate has already done that [conversion or thing] a couple of times already. Like you were looking for ignition maps with yours at the start. Sure you figured it out but doing it over again would be easier for you.

Ignition maps are near same in any bike, I have adopted from hayabusa :D as it was easest to find ;) , but no problem can share my know how :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
great re CKPS, I was workign on an old gofl at the time so was either none or v basic ecu

>>>you're saying there is a map sensor in the existing throttle body? Not on the 08-13 version tho surely? (v1 tps?)

> Yep check schematics

wow really? I got a spare throttle body here sec... that thing on top I guess?

20200822_010216.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
yeah but it was late and I was tired after work and I had an actual throttle body right there on the desk. You said it's in the TB and that was the only thing on it I couldn't account for. nvm

·
Registered
429 Posts
hey - idk if you got anywhere with this but I've just been talkign to someone who had the tuneboss ecu on their bike... and they made me aware of some new info... check out the tuneboss ecu. They do one for the gen2 bikes and it even has a sort of "autotune" thing (like the wideband autotune on mine) but using the narrowband. The person I spoke to reckons they got 155kmh/~95mph on their gen2 with the tuneboss ecu (!!). It also gives ignition control which the PCV doesn't (but speeduino etc does). The best bit tho is it's a plug in replacement... tuning over bluetooth, no custom wiring.

It will probably need a dyno tune to get the best out of it but you might be able to scrape by with the "narrowband auto tune".. whcih would at least make sure you're not running dangerously lean...

I think you'd be looking at the "yamaha new" version whcih has support for the o2 sensor etc already present in the system:

hope that helps :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts