Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Living My Missed Spent Youth(newbie) | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Living My Missed Spent Youth(newbie)

Discussion in 'Introductions (New members go here first)' started by Baza1954, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Hi guys & girls.
    Just a quick hi from a mature rider enjoying being back on a bike again.
    Hoping to enjoy the posts and advice that this forum will give.
    Be safe on and off the road
    Regards
    Baza IMG_1229.jpeg
    Captain Slow and NorthCust like this.
  2. R125Forum.com Advertisement

3. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125, Gasgas TXT 280, Stretched Neos
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    ooh that's lovely and clean!

welcome to the forums :)
    Baza1954 likes this.
  4. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    How much of your missed spent youth did you miss exactly, I was 43 before I even got on 2 wheels.
    Baza1954 likes this.
  5. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Cheers yes have plenty of time on my hands now.
  6. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Now 65 last rode a bike back in the 70's
    NorthCust likes this.
  7. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Well the good news is that if you ride a 125cc bike and have 'L' plates on the back then the entire community of car drivers immediately presume you are a spotty teenager who doesn't have a clue about road markings, junctions, roundabouts, lane discipline or lane splitting and filtering.
    Baza1954 likes this.
  8. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    Captain slow how strange you being from Fleetwood I am retiring and moving too Thornton Cleveleys at the end of the year. Riding in London is normally a challenge although been out too refuel (long way round 20mins) and it was nearly a pleasure. Looking forward to some rides around Lancashire
  9. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    Myself and my Wife relocated to Fleetwood 18 months ago from Yorkshire. I was offered a better position with the company I work for 'DHL' and transferred from Leeds to their Preston depot. But in order to have a better way of life away from the madness and clutter of city living we was looking to move to Blackpool as we have friends in that area for a number of years. Once we started looking for properties though we found that not many had garages and the residential areas are so far away from the seafront that it would still involve the bike or car to get there. After speaking with some of our friends they recommended Cleveleys, Fleetwood or Knott End as many properties are bungalows and have garages. We made a few overnight visits to do viewings and after loosing out on a bungalow at Knott End we was staying in Fleetwood. All the locals were very friendly and the place just felt right for us. So thats how we ended up here. We can hear the sea from the back garden, regularly have the windows covered in sand when its blowing a gale and can wake up to the sound of seagulls.

My commute is around 1000 miles a month to Preston and back. But I don't use the motorway as the country lanes are light in traffic so for once its nice to ride the bike enthusiastically and still be on the hum-drum commute. At present their is about a dozen or so R125's knocking around with 'L' plates on. Although it has to be said that wearing the correct riding gear doesn't seem as important to some riders over here. I see many riders with hoodies, no gloves and trainers. Plus for some reason bikers over here are not that keen on nodding or tipping their head to fellow bikers. But there are extensive queues leaving Fleetwood and Cleveleys on a morning, but in the warmer months quite a few more bikes on the same journey. So I guess some of the car drivers are 'fine weather riders' as opposed to die hard get wet through and blown all over the place riders.

Its surprising what a difference it makes with the surrounding land all being flat. After years of Yorkshire living where if your not going downhill your going uphill. And Winter is really mild being so close to the coast. The first Winter we was here we had snow for about 2 hours, and had to clear the windscreen on the car maybe half a dozen times. Winter just gone we had no snow and never had any frost. Which shows in the flowers that people grow in the gardens.

Prepare yourself for a very very relaxed lifestyle before you move. There is a hint of 'it will happen when it happens' living here. No rushing about. Its very different when the holiday season is in full swing (except this year). Last year from May bank holiday until early November the roads are extremely busy with holiday makers. On a Fridays the M6 and M55 are horrendously busy. And around Fleetwood and Cleveleys many of the caravan parks are situated so Friday and Saturday the shops and supermarkets are abundant with large families stocking up for their holiday by the sea. But thats what keep the shops and businesses thriving so it's a small inconvenience for us living by the sea I guess.

In Fleetwood you have a fantastic motorbike Yamaha dealers called Raceways.

https://www.racewaysmotorcycles.co.uk/

I do all my own work on my bikes and the advice they offer is brilliant. Plus for parts they are often cheaper than eBay prices. And I'm supporting a local business. Community spirit is abundant round here and we found within a couple of months shops in Fleetwood knew us by name! that didn't happen in 47 years of living in Yorkshire.

"Blimey I feel like an estate agent"
    Baza1954 and NorthCust like this.
  10. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    My partner lived there 17 years ago and still has a place she rents out. We have been together four four years now (both widowed) And visited the house when tenants changed.
    I really took to the area and decided I wanted out of the south and move north.
    We already have bought a place in Thornton Cleveleys 3 bed with garage so somewhere to store the bike.
    was hoping to spend several weekends and bank holiday before September but that is restricted as unstandable.
    We enjoyed the new year up there.
    Your statement regarding wearing correct riding gear to me should be law, It annoys me that even in London they ride under protected, I always wear fully protection what ever the weather.

The relaxed lifestyle is exactly what we are looking for.
    Appreciate the fact (may be not this year) that the place is popular in the summer months but Sure we can do our shopping mid week.
    Regarding folks being friendly I was standing in Affinity shopping place waiting for My partner wearing my bike racing jacket when a guy Senior bike rider started to chat this doesn’t happen down here also we have been accepted to the Wings club in town (hopefully it will survive) attended twice and as you mentioned several couples remembered our names.
    Stay safe and we won’t tell too many how good it is up there. Need to keep it too ourselves
    NorthCust and Captain Slow like this.
  11. Baza1954

Baza1954

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZFR125 2014
    License Currently Held:
    UK Provisional (CBT)
    sorry for the
    Sorry for the long delay in replying as there seems to be a global situation that is screwing up this life we live.
    After a very long delay we have finally moved to Lanchashire end September and life is good.
    Looking forward to getting out on the bike maybe once life and weather improves.

Yes Raceways very good had the bike serviced and MOT very pleased with the service and help.

Finally managed to get my theory test February is the earliest do not even know when the full test might be.
    So looks like L plates for some time still not planing on having a pillion rider.

Seen a Black R125 on Victoria road but as you say the riders around here are not too concerned regarding sensible bike wear.
    Full protection for me every time no brainier

Any suggestions on places too ride out too that aren't to far as looking to get used to the less congested roads than London.

Thanks for the advice
    NorthCust likes this.
  12. Captain Slow

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    For my commute to work I use the A586 to Saint Michael on Wyre then at the mini roundabout turn right and head for Bilsborrow. Then my return commute I use the B5269 from Broughton. Traffic is light on these roads even for the rush hour and the only concern is mud from the farm traffic.

route 1.jpg

You can also head for Knott End via Stalmine which is a nice route and you end up at the sea again. More adventurous you could cross the river to Hambleton and then wend your way right up to Morecambe, and during a summer of no lockdown head for Barrow in Furnace. As the Seagull flies its only 12 miles but to drive I think its nearly 40.