Yamaha YZF R125 Forum and Owners Club: Friendly bike community for all. Jed's Drz Blog | Page 75 | R125 Forum
Change
  1. BOTM Winner
    Congratulations grayej! You are the winner of November's BOTM competition!

Please visit the BOTM section to see more entries, or to enter this month.

Click here to enter!

Jed's Drz Blog

Discussion in 'Members Bikes / Blogs' started by Jed, Jul 12, 2013.

1. RadactPotato

RadactPotato New Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    YZF-R125 '15
    License Currently Held:
    Non UK Provisional Bike
    Welcome back! I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks (and owned an R125 for 5 months), but it's nice to see that it's still sometimes suprisingly active :D
    Jed and NorthCust like this.
  2. NorthCust

NorthCust Active Member

Home Page:
    Current Bike (Optional):
    2008 Yamaha R125
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    ha yep that sounds like an entertaining ride home ;) I had a car when I got the bike but then I broke it and was commuting on the bike, didn't really see the point in continuing the car in the end.. bike was way more affordable and fun so I just stuck with it. I still have moments where I think "wtf am I doing this is an insane form of transport" but i'm hooked nonetheless :)
  3. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    After everyone left the forum, strangely at the same time as it was sold to a.n.other and the adverts started appearing, I did some riding with Mark (Mo Mo), and Paul (Donk27), James, Miles, Gee, Marcel, Teri and Kamba (Newbietoprofessional). But they were rides out that were arranged outside of any forum. Bikersnetwork never took off like the R125Forum did.

I suppose part of the problem is that everyone moves onto bigger bikes and hence the forum looses popularity as members join the Suzuki GSXR forum, or the Yamaha R6 forum. Maybe right in thinking that I am one of the few people who actually still have the R125 in my garage, and until recently I was putting 1000 miles a month on it for my commute. But alas I have a more suitable bike for the commute now. Although no intentions to get rid of the R125 as I have too many good memories over the past 6+ years.

We moved to the seaside over a year ago and I now enjoy riding without hills! But best of all I can ride the bike(s) along country lanes as part of my commute. So unlike in Yorkshire when I commuted 4 miles along stationary queuing traffic and maybe reached 15mph at peak I now have 13 miles of county lanes which are light in traffic use all year round as other commuters prefer to use the motorway to head towards Preston.
    NorthCust likes this.
  4. Jed

Jed Moderator Staff Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    (Formerly) Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike (Restricted)
    Aha I was 16 when I first got into road riding on a CBT, passed my full test at 18 and am now 25 and still don't have a car license. Will get round to it eventually but somehow commuting on a bike in the snow still wasn't enough to dissuade me. Times like these when the weather begins picking up and the roads are quiet makes me want another one more than ever... my family aren't too keen however ahaha
    NorthCust likes this.
  5. Jed

Jed Moderator Staff Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    (Formerly) Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike (Restricted)
    Yeah I suppose those sorts of things are bound to happen once you develop friendships outside of the forum. Ben, Jay and I often used to meet up in London for rides/drinks etc. Tom and Dan also used to make appearances from time to time but most of us/them have moved on from riding now which is a real shame. I've not spoken to Jay for over 2 years now (he's MIA) but he had had a son and was adjusting to life as a dad aha.

Yeah I think your location definitely plays a bigger role, down south towards London the amount of cars on the roads became noticeably heavier and so it was just a matter of time before something bad happened. For the two weeks I was commuting into London from Hertfordshire I had so many close calls and near misses because people just cannot drive there for some reason.
  6. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Super Member

Current Bike (Optional):
    R125, R3, CBR929RR, R1
    License Currently Held:
    UK Full Bike
    It was quite bad commuting on the bike when I worked in Leeds. I would often see cars move towards the pedestrian island as they saw you approaching in the mirror just to block your progress. I have to say it was a breathe of fresh air when we moved. Car drivers are much more laid back around where we live and there is a sense of 'get there when I get there'. Also in and around Preston motorists are much more aware of bikers and give space rather than get fed up as you bypass the queues. The big difference seems to be that bikers don't acknowledge other bikers with a nod or tip of the head.

So since you left the forum I've had a divorce, married again, move to Fleetwood and bought 3 other bikes and a new car. My Wife also loves riding pillion so I enjoy riding and having good company.
    NorthCust likes this.