Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a Yamaha YZF R125 to learn how to ride, talked to a friend who is selling his and he mentioned that his bike's engine has been swapped to 250cc. Asked him if it's reliable or has anything wrong with it, he said none and it's in perfect condition. I'm skeptical about the engine swap part, is it even safe to change the engine like that, will the bike and the rest of the parts be reliable? I don't know how bikes work and stuff at all so I hope someone can give an approximate idea of it.

·
Registered
2008 YZF-R125 (180cc)
436 Posts
if you're just starting out perhaps stick with the 125cc motor for now. There's many ways to make it faster - e.g. bigger cylinder (I think there's one R125 i know of which even has a 250cc cylinder/big-bore upgrade and ~35-40hp), ecu, exhaust mods etc or indeed a bigger motor.. but whether it's safe will depend on how well executed the swap was and whether the rest of the components were upgraded to match.

Mine's got a big bore kit on and various tweaks and even with decent disks + pads I'm finding that she's starting to be a little under-braked for the speeds she can achieve now... so if you straight-up double the size of the motor that's only going to be more noticable.

Also potentially the forces you encounter while riding might start to exceed what the bike was designed for.

I realise this is rich coming from me as I try to upgrade mine as far as I can :eek:), so I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware of what you're doing and the potential risks/limits of that. Also if you want to go faster it's probably easier to just get a faster bike than spend a lot of time and money upgrading... but I guess that also depends on what's available to buy where you are, what the rules are and what you can insure etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts