Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup folks!

Yup, Insurance time again! Got a wee question I want to put up for discussion, and its based on online insurance company quotes, in relation to your licence.

At the moment, I'm with ebike, and have been for the past 2 years. Come last years renewal, I ran into a little problem regarding one of the questions, specifically: "How long have you held your licence?" My provisional I'd held for yonks, so I put down yonks. Alls good, went through, with only a 15 quid increase, so np. Few weeks later, I get a letter from them to tell me that I hadn't held the entitlement for yonks. Hoo har entails, and in the meantime I pass my Mod 2, change my insurance to match, problem goes away with a nice little refund for the difference the licence change made.

Now, I'm looking at a couple of shiney, nearly new road toys, so, get some quotes. And the fun begins.
Compare the market, for example.
Licence type: Full.
How long have you held it for? Not quiet a year.
No claims bonus? 2 years
Smoke bellows, cogs grind, gears mesh, and a big fat fail appears.
I havent held my licence for 2 years! How can I possibly have 2 years ncb?????

Should I go with having held my licence for 2+ years?
Change the ncb to 0 to match the years on the full licence?

Benji? Any experience of this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
558 Posts
well ive done the same as you not to long ago and worked fine with me :S can be done as obv you get no claims on your prov licence when on L plates i have and insurance companies accept it from me :)

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Ring around and see

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Phone them up.
Only thing to do...

These online comparison things are useless anyway...

And you haven't held your license for yonks. You have held it since you have passed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
No issues with ebike, just removed my restrictor changed my licence from A2 to A and altered the held date to 0 years, total cost £16. NCD and licence entitlement are two independent variables. If in doubt as Fisher says give them a ring.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Benji said:
No issues with ebike, just removed my restrictor changed my licence from A2 to A and altered the held date to 0 years, total cost £16. NCD and licence entitlement are two independent variables. If in doubt as Fisher says give them a ring.
I've just been talking about this and this post is what I hoped to hear. I am also insured through Ebike.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
For someone like me who have 4+ no claims going to loose them when I pass my test ? Im sure it carry over

·
Registered
712 Posts
You won't lose your no-claims discount, that's earnt and safe. It's the time since you held a licence that changes.

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Benji said:
You won't lose your no-claims discount, that's earnt and safe. It's the time since you held a licence that changes.
Oh seen I'm
Understand

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sup folks!

Yup, Insurance time again! Got a wee question I want to put up for discussion, and its based on online insurance company quotes, in relation to your licence.

At the moment, I'm with ebike, and have been for the past 2 years. Come last years renewal, I ran into a little problem regarding one of the questions, specifically: "How long have you held your licence?" My provisional I'd held for yonks, so I put down yonks. Alls good, went through, with only a 15 quid increase, so np. Few weeks later, I get a letter from them to tell me that I hadn't held the entitlement for yonks. Hoo har entails, and in the meantime I pass my Mod 2, change my insurance to match, problem goes away with a nice little refund for the difference the licence change made.

Now, I'm looking at a couple of shiney, nearly new road toys, so, get some quotes. And the fun begins.
Compare the market, for example.
Licence type: Full.
How long have you held it for? Not quiet a year.
No claims bonus? 2 years
Smoke bellows, cogs grind, gears mesh, and a big fat fail appears.
I havent held my licence for 2 years! How can I possibly have 2 years ncb?????

Should I go with having held my licence for 2+ years?
Change the ncb to 0 to match the years on the full licence?

Benji? Any experience of this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
The same happend to me, compare the market waste of time. If you go on GO COMPARE it asks how long you have held your current licence and what previous experience you have and on what cc bike. All this with your no claims is taken into consideration and I was getting quotes back 40% cheaper than compare the market.

The only problem I had was when I notified my current insurrer that my licence had changed to class A they charged me £40 admin fee.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, seems its just compare the market, no problems with ebike, or go compare.... although they couldnt provide me with a quote from ebike, ebike themselves could. sorted.
thanks for your input folks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts