Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so yesterday, I decided to clean around my engine, because it was REALLY grimey. I thought I would start the bike up to dry it out. It did not fire as quickly as it normally does, but I just assumed that water got into the sparky or something.

So anyway, I left the bike running for 5-10 mins, whilst on my ABBA Superkie stand. Just before I went to turn the engine off, I say the odometer change to F-Trip, and show zero mile, as per usual. This normally leaves me with about 20 miles worth of fuel... more than enought to get to the petrol station. So I thought, ok, I will get some fuel on the way to college tomorrow.

This morning, I started her up, everything fine, but then I went to pull away, and after about six feet, the revs dropped, and she coughed and spluttered to a haul. I can only assume that I had run out of petrol :oops:! But the F-Trip was still only recording 0.0 miles.

I am guessing that it is because I was on a fairly steep hill, the engine was starved of fuel.

So, after talking very nicley, and throwing a bag of mini eggs into the deal, I got a friend to take me to the petrol station, and fill up a jerry can.

Get back home, fill up (about 1/2 a tank), and after about 30 seconds of turning over, she starts springs back to life!

Luckily, I ran out at home, so I did not have to face the embarresment of pushing her to home/ to the petrol station.

Has anyone else ever run out of fuel? How many miles did YOU get on your F-Trip?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I normally get 30+ miles on the F-Trip.
I don't like to push my luck any more than that :p

Only time I didn't is when my speedo didn't work, and obviously then it was because it wouldn't count any miles.

How full do you normally fill the tank? I have heard stories where OVER filling the tank has damaged the fuel level sensor...
Does sound odd though :S

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I normally get 30+ miles on the F-Trip.
I don't like to push my luck any more than that :p

Only time I didn't is when my speedo didn't work, and obviously then it was because it wouldn't count any miles.

How full do you normally fill the tank? I have heard stories where OVER filling the tank has damaged the fuel level sensor...
Does sound odd though :S
This is a good point as i am sure my fuel gauge does not work properly any more... last time reserve same on i filled up and was only 10.5 litres and reserve meant to be 1.6? 1.9 litres no counted for

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
lol i thought i was gunna run out of petrol this morning!
i went to shell on my way to college and it was closed!!
]and the next garage was miles away!!

i was more annoyed that i had to total petrol in:( i always use V power...

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
lol i thought i was gunna run out of petrol this morning!
i went to shell on my way to college and it was closed!!
]and the next garage was miles away!!

On way to Newcastle i had to fill up at a garage i had never even heard and did not feel the same.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean! I normally use BP Ultimate, or Shell V-Power, but today I had to use 'Harvest Energy' or whatever it was called. It used to be a Jet garage, so I had at least heard of them, but who are fucking 'Harvest Energy'? Do they use wheat in the fuel or something? lol!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
I usually run V power, but after Scotts thread I thought I'd try BP Ultimate. I prefer V power tbh. Im currently on 1bar and near reserve fuel because I can feel my bike jerking and struggling... Anyways I've been on reserve twice now and max I've done is 10miles then I've gone to fill just to make sure! I don't trust digits on a screen. Anything can go wrong :). Better to be safe than sorry and pushing your bike along!!!

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean! I normally use BP Ultimate, or Shell V-Power, but today I had to use 'Harvest Energy' or whatever it was called. It used to be a Jet garage, so I had at least heard of them, but who are freaking 'Harvest Energy'? Do they use wheat in the fuel or something? lol!
Some herbs, carrots all home grown!!! :D No wonder people top up with Veggi Oil these days!!!

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Can I please just point out very quickly that the Fuel Trip said 0 miles because you hadn't actually moved anywhere :p
It could have been saying 0 miles for 10 minutes for all you know!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I please just point out very quickly that the Fuel Trip said 0 miles because you hadn't actually moved anywhere :p
It could have been saying 0 miles for 10 minutes for all you know!
Nah mate, I saw it change AS I went to turn the engine off! So it was only on for about 2 seconds with the engine running!

The only explanation I have is that as the bike was on the ABBA stand, the rear was lifted higher than the front (as with any bike stands), so this must have effected the 'float' in the tank, and it gave out an incorrect reading.

And Fisher, I NEVER over-fill, only to just benethe the plastic ring thing inside the lip of the tank (max. fill line).

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean! I normally use BP Ultimate, or Shell V-Power, but today I had to use 'Harvest Energy' or whatever it was called. It used to be a Jet garage, so I had at least heard of them, but who are freaking 'Harvest Energy'? Do they use wheat in the fuel or something? lol!
lol i didnt fill my bike up! i only put£5 in so i can get v power back in when im reserve....

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Hmmmm....

Besides, 10 minutes idling shouldn't use 30 miles worth of fuel!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm....

Besides, 10 minutes idling shouldn't use 30 miles worth of fuel!
Yeah, not sure what happened! I suppose it was warm yesterday, and very cold this mornig, so the fuel would have changed density, but that shouldnt have made that much difference!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts