Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys, passed my MOD 1 earlier this month and booked MOD 2 in for 11th of April, all going well I should be getting a "bigger" bike by May.

Will probably only keep the next bike for 2 years to get my NCB before I move onto a 600 (R6 BABY! haha) - so hopefully by then I'll be 20 with 3 years NCB.

The one I'm looking at is only £1500, with 6.6k miles, and TPF+T Insurance is only £480 (a lot cheaper than my 125.. wtf).

Been thinking about getting a Hyosung GT250R, as I'd only be using it for town/work commuting, just wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with them, or knows anybody who has one and what do they rate them?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Ben said:
Hiya guys, passed my MOD 1 earlier this month and booked MOD 2 in for 11th of April, all going well I should be getting a "bigger" bike by May.

Will probably only keep the next bike for 2 years to get my NCB before I move onto a 600 (R6 BABY! haha) - so hopefully by then I'll be 20 with 3 years NCB.

The one I'm looking at is only £1500, with 6.6k miles, and TPF+T Insurance is only £480 (a lot cheaper than my 125.. wtf).

Been thinking about getting a Hyosung GT250R, as I'd only be using it for town/work commuting, just wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with them, or knows anybody who has one and what do they rate them?
Fisher and I have a friend at college who has one. Fish knows more about them than me. But it seems reliable, if you get a newer one :p
They are made by the same people who used to work at Suzuki... So good quality. It has a 600 frame and bodywork ect. So it looks so much bigger.
Apparently it moves allot better than the other 250'ss on the market, like the cbr250 ect, mainly because the Cbr is still a single cylinder.
Anyways they are good bikes!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Five speed gearbox, is my only residing memory of them. The CBR250R is a peach of a handler, took one out for a test ride and got the pegs on the floor :)

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Benji said:
Five speed gearbox, is my only residing memory of them. The CBR250R is a peach of a handler, took one out for a test ride and got the pegs on the floor :)
What's the power like, I was going to upgrade to one but I have been convinced out of it by different people because of the single cylinder

·
Registered
712 Posts
What's the power like, I was going to upgrade to one but I have been convinced out of it by different people because of the single cylinder
Take it for a ride and try it, just because it's a single doesn't mean it's no good, just look at some of the KTM's proper nutter machines. Power was ok, plenty for the road, without being intimidating.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Benji said:
Take it for a ride and try it, just because it's a single doesn't mean it's no good, just look at some of the KTM's proper nutter machines. Power was ok, plenty for the road, without being intimidating.
Once I pass my test I will :) because I'm moving to London I want something that I can use on the motorway to come home (Winchester) and not have to be worried about being flat on the tank to hit 70...
If I do test it I will put it on my bike review thing :p
Thanks for the info benji... All hail ;)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Personally, I don't like the sound of a single, plus they can be a little 'jerky' if you know what I mean? (less smooth than a twin or more)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Personally, I don't like the sound of a single, plus they can be a little 'jerky' if you know what I mean? (less smooth than a twin or more)
Based on that logic, an in line four is smoother than a ducati with it's big thumping twin, yet they still loads of big red thumping tractor sounding bikes, and it's often the bike that non-bikers ooh and lust after.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I have made a few posts elsewhere on this forum.
But I say that the Hyosung is a cracking bike.

I have two friends with them!

Definitely go for one of the newer ones, that are EFI.

They are good for about 110, and will accelerate to about 100 with relative ease, depending how heavy you are :p
Build quality is reasonable, and I would place it about on par with the Ninja 250.

It's a V Twin as well, which is nice ;)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Based on that logic, an in line four is smoother than a ducati with it's big thumping twin, yet they still loads of big red thumping tractor sounding bikes, and it's often the bike that non-bikers ooh and lust after.
Nah, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant that I prefer the sound of a twin, triple, four or more to the sound of a single.

I'm not sure of the firing order of Ducati's, so I'm not too sure about that, but in theory, regarding the 'smoothness' at least, I guess an inline four would be smoother than a V twin. It may not be noticible though, but the difference between a single and a twin regarging 'smoothness' is huge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do bike insurers accept car NCB by any chance?

I know that some car insurers accept bike NCB, so not sure if it's other way round too

·
Administrator
10,703 Posts
Ben said:

I know that some car insurers accept bike NCB, so not sure if it's other way round too
I don't think they do

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
29 Posts

Tesco and direct line have done it in the past for friends of mine, if you google it you'll be given some examples. You will however have to transfer to bike ncb to the car and start the bike from scratch

·
Registered
29 Posts
Forgot to mention that if you stay with the same insurer they may take your bike ncb into consideration for any car insurance.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
There isn't much to chose with a twin ;)
Well, I thought there was a little. This is going to be hard to explain, but I will give it a go! lol

1bang..........2bang..........1bang..........2bang..........1bang..........2bang

or

1bang...2bang.................1bang...2bang.................1bang...2bang

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I know where you are coming from Rob, you are meaning the phasing of the ignition to the combustion cycle. But you only really have a choice of two firing orders, 1 followed by 2, or 1 and 2 together, which will be dependent on how it's phased, i.e. whether both cylinders are at the same place in the cycle or split by a revolution.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I thought you could have, as you say, both together, one then the other e.g. when one is at TDC, the other is at BDC, or one at TDC, then the other about half way.

I hope you know what I mean! My technical brain isn't really working this morning! lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts