Yamaha YZF R125 Forums banner

how does it look so far ;)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as many of you know i want a seat cowl but cannot afford one, so i thought i would make my own.
Here is what you need to get you started :
Obviously a seat
Fibre glass set (large one)
Card
Painters tape or masking tape
Scissors
News paper

DSCN0450.JPG
first thing i did was tape over the seat, i did this trice as i didnt want to risk ruining the seat :p
DSCN0451.JPG DSCN0452.JPG
My next task was to make a shape out of cardboard as i wanted it to look different from the standard seat. once i had decided on a size and shape i taped this into place (the black lines are measurments and where it will start and end :))
DSCN0453.JPG DSCN0454.JPG
Once i had finished taping it together it was time for the good part. Putting the fibre glass on ;)
I cut it into strips (2 inches wide) as this was easier to put into place, making sure there was lots of the resin all over, so it would be tough :)
DSCN0455.JPG DSCN0456.JPG
At the moment i am waiting for it to dry so i can put another layer on top.
This seat cowl that i am making is one that can be taken off and put on, depending on wether im taking a pilion so i am making a little ridge at the bottom so this can happen :)
will upload more as progress goes on :)

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
You planning to make it replace the seat, or just slip over the top?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Killachipmunk said:
You planning to make it replace the seat, or just slip over the top?
Slip it over the top :) getting it off will be the hardest part, going to let it dry for a hour (as I have just put another layer on top) and then take it off without breaking it (hopefully) then leave it to properly dry overnight :)
Then use filler and stuff to get it level and then sand it down :) just depends how much motivation I have to finish it :) ;)

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
make it a bit thicker ;) add more layers etc especially when you go to sand down you will be removing some, use some wet and dry too!

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make it a bit thicker ;) add more layers etc especially when you go to sand down you will be removing some, use some wet and dry too!
yeah, thats what im going to do, but i need my seat for tonight because im working ;)
but tbh with this weather im going to ask my dad to take me :p
I just want to get the underside properly dry before i do more :) so i have a tough base :)

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also what a
also d, what are those things on your tank where your legs go?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Where is the option for 'Haven't got a clue' ?

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom Bark said:
Pics of the new layer and clips :)
AHH ****
Just realised to get it off I need to get rid of the clips!!!! To then get rid of the fin inside!!!!!!!!! Urghhhhh :/ going to have to sand the ridge from them off :(
Ah well

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
So once you are finished this will just slip over the top off the pillion seat rather than replace it?
Yeah, a lot of the bigger bikes actually do this.
Mostly the ones where the rear pillion seat and rider seat are one piece.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts